New owner, little help please.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Connor

Reaction score
Hi, I just recently bought an 03 Sport Trac 4X2. I am loving it! I've had nothing but VWs and Audis my whole life, so this is my first truck/Ford.

QUESTION: Everything on the truck feels solid and "right". However, when I am at a stop (park or in drive)

the engine seems to idle a little weird. It fluctuates from around 850-1000 RPMs. The engine

feels like it could die but never does? Is this normal, or has anybody had any experience w/this?

-Thanks in advance for any help or info.

-Tony:)

The IAC valve might need cleaning, the link below goes to the project to do it.

Also, change your air filter, and clean the MAF with dielectric contact cleaner (with the engine off)...

I'm not an expert, but many that have similar problems clean the IAC and it fixes it. I have linked to a project below, in case others agree this may be the problem.

Welcome to the site. I was born and raised in Lexington, so it is good to see someone from home joining the site. :)

[Broken External Image]:

Very nice! Sounds like a simple enough fix.....as far as cleaners go? Any recomendations on that, as well as lubricant? I have some Tri-Flo in the garage, would that be good?

Nelson: Small world we live in huh? Nice to see some people from Lexington on here as well! :)

Thanks for all the help guys!:D

Wow.

The 3 vehicles in my garage are the ST, an Audi A6 and a VW Jetta. Audi fan my whole life!

As far as cleaners for the IAC, I would just use some run-of-the-mill carb cleaner. The project calls for a high temp oil to use for a lube, and suggests 3-in-1. Sounds fine to me. No WD40.

Welcome!

ALSO, check the ac plug...i had the same problem..IAC didnt do anything, something with the ac drawing too much at idle...i have my ac disconnected now, and its fine...gonna have it looked at after i get the truck to run right..

Andy

The AC Compressor needs a certain RPM to run and if it goes below it will shut down for a safety issue....if you can hear it cycling on and off..and the RPMs raise up and down every few seconds......then check out the idle speed adjustment project. Just a very slight increase will cure the compressor cycling!

I can personally vouch for what "trtex" says. I had that exact problem. When I turned on the defroster (which uses the AC) the engine would almost stall and the AC compressor would cycle on and off in 2 second increments. Following the advice of fellow members, I cleaned the IAC and raised the engine idle speed back into spec. Both of these procedures can be found in the "Projects" section. The combination of the two fixed the problem.

Thanks again for the help.... I am going to clean the IAC this weekend (going out of town for a few days)...hopefully that will cure the problem.

It doesn't seem to be a huge deal, I just like my vehicles to run perfect, as many of you all do as well.

-Tony

Latest posts