New Presidential Candidate

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when i ask them what he is going to change they don't have an answer.

Everyone in my dorm man... everyone. ---- McCain '08! Don't like his policy on immigration and some other things but between him, Sir Change, and Mrs. Billary the logical choice would obviously be John. I mean common who looks the coolest?

1dcb9b8c421d8c753e3140524502e44a.jpg

[Broken External Image]:

7db33f2651d9a04d302d424cc522c481.jpg

Its of course a rhetorical question of course... John McCain!!!

You mean once I vote in the primary, I MUST vote for that person in the general election? Since when???!!! I have right to vote for WHOEVER I want to in the general election, party affiliation be darned! The constitution says NOTHING about party affiliation! I have the right to vote for whoever I want to!

When you vote in a primary election, you can only vote for the party you are signed up under with. For example, if you declare you are a Republican, it is illegal, an actual felony, to vote Democrat on a primary if you plan on voting Republican in the General Election.

The law is designed to prevent Republican voters from voting for the candidate that has the best chance of getting beat by the Rebublican president to be, or vise versa.

Tom

In Kentucky, the Democrats have been in power for decades with only minor breaks. I was registered as a Democrat for years just so I could vote for the weakest candidate. My first vote for President in a General election was for John Anderson, an Independent.

I'm sorry Tom. I don't believe what you are saying. People are free to vote for anyone they want in the General election, regardless of their party affiliation. If that wasn't the case, then Independent candidates would be disallowed in Ohio, because no one could legally vote for them.

I did read that story about people switching parties to vote for Clinton. I found it humorous. I doubt that she minds all of those people voting for her, since she seems bent on beating Obama at any price. I really think The Democrats have lost this election already, because of the disenfranchised voters in Florida and Michigan, and their stupid way of determining how the delegates to their candidate's selection are won. The Super Delegates will determine the winner at this point, so the voting public is now completely removed from the picture.

I would like to see Obama on the ballot, because I think he is the most intelligent of the bunch, but I am sure that Clinton will be the nominee. Her husband will see to that, so he can be the first "First Gentleman".

Nelson,

Never said that you are not allowed to vote for anyone you want as president. I did say that being a registered Republican and changing party afiliation just to skew the elections is against the law. If you change parties in Ohio, you are supposed to vote as such in the general election.

Tom

When you vote in a primary election, you can only vote for the party you are signed up under with.

That's right. That's what the primary is for.

For example, if you declare you are a Republican, it is illegal, an actual felony, to vote Democrat on a primary if you plan on voting Republican in the General Election.

But if someone declares they are a Democrat(for the primary), votes in the Democratic primary and then decides that they like the Republican candidate better in the general election, who is "the government" to decide that this can not happen. People DO change their opinions and parties all the time. This IS America.

I would love to see a court case on this. Let's see... If you vote in one party's election in the primary, you MUST vote for their candidate in the general election??? Say What???

Chris

Toledo, OH

PS: HAPPY EASTER everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the reference Tom is trying to make is that a large group of party members could change their affiliation to vote in a different party during the primary. This is not a vote for the candidate to get the nomination to win the election, but a vote for the candidate that is "most likely to be defeated" by their own party candidate. You have to vote within your party affiliation during the primary, but you can vote for whoever in the general election.

Pledging allegiance to a party seems quite strange in my opinion. In Florida, I just check a box signifying my part affiliation. No pledges, no questions, and no explanations...as it should be.

The local DA is correct, that there probably isn't any evidence to convict, except for that guy that said "Just for today" on his statement.

I have to agree with Nelson here. Pledging to ANY party in an election is strange. I think Florida's laws(and many like them) are correct. Check the box signifying party affiliation and then vote for that party's candidates. Next time, you might do something different. Kind of like freedom of choice...

I've often wondered why we have primaries at all? Where in the Constitution does it talk about a party system or primaries? This seems to be something the States have come up with, probably with the support of both parties. Nicely blocks out an independent person too...

The sun just came out here, and I'm hoping it will help melt the 9" of snow we got a few days ago. I do see some rabbit tracks out there though!:)

I believe the reference Tom is trying to make is that a large group of party members could change their affiliation to vote in a different party during the primary.

Good job actually reading what I said instead of trying to argue that you know it all.

Tom

I'm still trying to figure out how an Independent can be listed on an Ohio ballot. This rule must only apply to the primaries, because otherwise voting for Independent candidates in the General election would be illegal. :unsure:

No way do I know it all. :huh:

It's just that the idea that one must pledge allegience to a certain party for an unknown time to vote in the primary. And then be told, at the time of voting, that to vote, you must plan(at the time you vote in the primary) to vote for that party's candidate. Just seems somehow wrong to me.

I guess the only way to avoid this is to move to a state that does not require this. Either that, or move to Michigan(or Florida) where your vote does not count at all!:eek:;)

If you belong to a labor union you have no choice but to vote democratic. It's the American way. Now that should ruffle a few feathers. :D:rolleyes:;):p:blink:

I belonged to a labor union (yuk) when I worked at Arco Arena, and I still voted Republican...

Why do I HAVE to vote Democrat just because I have to pay useless dues to a union???

In Kollyfornya, IF you are a registered Republican or Democrat, when the primary comes, you get to vote for the canidates in YOUR party only. Being that I registered as an independent, I don't get to vote in the primaries. I do get to vote in the general election, though.

Never mind that what they did is actaully a felony. You are only allowed to change your party if you plan to vote as such in the general election.

Every state is different. If you have a CLOSED primary, what you say may or may not be true, depending on the state. In Arkansas, all primaries are OPEN, therefore, if you are a Registered Republican, you can vote for the Democrat. It's been legal for decades. The opposite is true.

I am not registered for either party. In 2004, I voted for Kucinich since I know that he would loose against GWB. In 2008 I voted for Mitt Romney because I actually wanted him to win. It's a GREAT system.

If I was in PA (and if it was an Open Primary) I would go in and vote Democrat (proabably for Hillary since she stand NO CHANCE at winning in teh general).

Before you go off and spout off about what is and what is not a felony, do some research, will ya?

17 States have Open Primaries. Places like Virgina, voting laws actually says that
“[a]ll persons qualified to vote…may vote at the primary. No person shall vote for the candidates of more than one party."

So, how exactly is it a felony in these states? If you have a "closed primary", like say Missouri, you can register as a Democrat, vote for Kucinich in the primary and GWB in the general. I know many people who did just that. In Illinois, you can register as a Democrat and vote for Richardson or Edwards in the primary and vote for McCain in the General. I know lots of people who will do just that.

There are 19 states with closed primaries, 2 with "modified closed primaries" and Washington DC is a closed primary voting district.

There are some states that unless you declare a party, you can't vote. Let's talk about disenfranchisement, shall we? I won't register for a party, so does that mean my vote counts less in the primaries than some died-in-the-wool republicrat? I thought "every vote shuld count" afterall???

So, what exactly is a felony again?

ChrisT, said:
But if someone declares they are a Democrat(for the primary), votes in the Democratic primary and then decides that they like the Republican candidate better in the general election, who is "the government" to decide that this can not happen. People DO change their opinions and parties all the time. This IS America.

ChrisT, give it up. [wink...Caymen rarely will restate things or clarify once he says something that he clearly cannot back up]

I suspect Caymen misspoke when saying:
Never mind that what they did is actaully a felony. You are only allowed to change your party if you plan to vote as such in the general election.

Clearly that last assertion he made isn't something enforceable, and that in itself is not a felony. I think he is somehow confusing two items:

First - In Ohio there are laws (by his claim) against changing your party in order to vote in the primary for a lame oponent that would be easier to beat by your true party of choice.

Second - Voting across party lines in a general election (not a primary).

The latter need not have anything to do with the former and vice versa. Together the two are interesting to talk about; but there are countless reasons one might do the first (change parties prior to a primary), then also do the second (vote across party lines in a general election). If there are laws against then it seems they are largely unenforceable.

We may never know what Caymen really meant.

TJR

Les said:
I believe the reference Tom is trying to make is that a large group of party members could change their affiliation to vote in a different party during the primary.

Yes, that could happen. I would like to understand what laws there are against keeping that from happening. I would like to see how those laws would distinquish between a "large group working in collusion to achieve their goals", versus the individual that just might want to change parties, then due to whatever reason vote across party lines.

I think collusion is almost always a bad thing. I think our systems (economic, social, political, corporate, capitalist) should respect the rights of the individual and allow all individuals a voice that is not be shouted over by the colluding mob.

I just don't like collusion.

But then, many here pick and choose the forms of collusion that they like. Colluding to get a primary nominee elected is bad, for example; while colluding to get higher wages and better pensions while bankrupting a company is okay.

Funny if you think about it.

TJR

If you guys would click my link (I know you did not because it explains everything) you would KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

I will quote some key points for you all to read...

CLEVELAND: The Cuyahoga County Board of Elections is investigating whether any Republicans broke the law when they switched parties in the March 4 presidential primary, apparently to back a weaker opponent for GOP nominee-in-waiting John McCain.

The board expects the results of the investigation March 31.

The board wants to know if voters lied when they signed statements pledging allegiance to their new party.

So far, I am right....

Some local Republicans told the paper that they had changed parties only to influence which Democrat would face McCain. One switcher, in signing the pledge to back the Democratic Party, added, ''For one day only.''

That kind of comment could indicate a party switch was insincere, McNair said Thursday. The elections board review now under way involves a Democrat and Republican checking party change records for any similar anecdotal evidence, McNair said.

Lied about it and tampering with an election. Is it against the law?

The board has a responsibility to look into possible criminal wrongdoing, he said.

Lying on the signed statement is a fifth-degree felony, punish able by six to 12 months in jail and a $2,500 fine.

Oh wait, this is a felony? 6 Months in jail and a $2,500.00 fine?

That stupid Caymen is unable to back what he said up. Never mind the fact that I already posted this link earlier in this thread for all to see, few chose to read it and just wanted to spout off their mouthes.

Tom

This link is below again in case you were unable to read it the first time...not saying you will read it this time though.

I would think until these people voted in the general election, and voted Republican (those that switched for the primary), there is no way to prove the allegations...