New Rear End...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Mason 2

Reaction score
I just got back from the mechanic and the bad news of the day is that he opened up the rear transfer case and there was a bunch of metal pieces. I took it in for the "rear end whine" (for which there is a different post from 8/24) He recommends replacing the whole rear axle assembly (because he's not sure if the metal pieces have gotten into the other bearings). The left side bearing is shot and he can rotate the axle 3/4 to 1 inch - when it should not rotate at all. It is a 2001 with 90,500 miles. I have the 4.11 so I wouldn't need to upgrade. I'm looking for advice - How much can I expect to pay for this? Should I only have a dealer do this?

Any advice/info/comments would be helpful!

PAUL

OK, if I read this right, your saying you need to replace BOTH the transfer case and the rear end, correct????

No matter the answer, any QUALIFIED shop can do this and it will be MUCH cheaper than a dealer doing it.

Let me shoot you prices on some used parts that would come with a guarantee, at least it will help you see the financial difference and help you shop around..

By the way, it is a 4.10 ratio. And it does offer a limited slip option as well. Since your installing a unit, I would suggest going with the limited slip as it will improve your over-all traction.

Found 212 rear ends of the 4.10 ratio, about a third of them are Limited-Slip.

Price ranged from $300 (High mileage), to $600 for very low mileage.

$400 to $500 range average miles were 50,000 miles.

There are two options on the transfer case, here are your choices,

4x4 (part time, electric shift), 4 Dr, Sport Trac, ID 1L54-AB

4x4 (part time, electric shift), 4 Dr, Sport Trac, ID 1L54-CA

For the heck of it, I did the search on the last one listed. If you want more info, let me know...

Found the transfer case at a low end of $200 with higher miles, but not too bad,upper 70's and as high as $800 for new.

Found several at $300 to $400 with low miles and in good shape...

No problem at all, in fact, I am sitting in Houston killing time. If you have an AOL instant message screen name or Yahoo messenger name send it. I am on-line and will be glad to chat. I am here all night, leave at 6:30 am Friday..

e-mail is in my profile..

I found my invoice from where the dealer fixed my rear axle. They said that the axle differential bearings was worn completely on the left side (not perfectly worn either, half gone). I had some roaring, and vibration issues at certain speeds (65mph). I could also hear a grinding when rolling at snails pace as wheel rotated.

They replaced the right and left ball bearing assemblies, 2 cups, spacer, seals, new axle oil, sealant, and adhesive.

Parts: $266

Labor: $345

TOTAL: $611 covered under ESP