New Sport Trac Member

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob V

Reaction score
Hello All! My name is Jake and i'm a new owner of a 2001 Sport Trac! I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi!

A little about myself,... I'm 23 years old and I live in the Milwaukee Area. I work full time as an Electrical Engineer Intern, while I go to school part time. (Electrical Engineering as my major) I'm not at all a mechanic, I've got some decent common sense but I'd like to apologize in advance for any dumb/stupid questions I might ask! I've got a wide range of hobbies! From all types of hunting and fishing to triathlons and weight lifting to computer gaming and electronics!

I just bought and picked up my "new to me" truck last night. Its a 2001, with 107k miles and in really good shape! I bought the truck mainly because my dad has a 2002 Ford Explorer and he has about 270k miles on it with out any major issues! I'm assuming this truck has the same Engine/Transmission since he also has the 4.0 v6, but I don't know for sure!

I've been searching and looking around the website for about a week now and found some awesome information so thank you! Tonight i'll be using one of the "projects" I found on here to figure out my Key-less Entry code. And next on my list is to replace the Cruise Control switches. First thing I tried when I got on the highway and they didn't work :( But after looking on the website it seems like its a common issue and you guys have some great DIY information!

Next is the tail lights had some holes in them and were kind of broken, so instead of replacing them with an OEM set, I've been looking for a set of black or black tinted ones. Any recommendations? I saw a set in a video on YouTube at 0:32 secs in (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4InJJfydo4) "Says it's Todd's 2003 Sport Trac, Video credit goes to Greg Smith" Hoping these gentlemen are still around and can maybe help me find a link to these taillights! Or if anyone can identify them from the video that would be awesome too!

Thanks in advance for any and all help/recommendations! I looking forward to being apart of this community!

-Jake

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the club!

Congratulations on finding this group full of great information!!! Since you have a 2001 you will have to do a little research to find out if it is job 1 or 2 and add that info to your title. It was the first year STs were produced and the oil filler on the first ones produced, were on the opposite side of all the rest of the Gen 1s. Im sure the members here will keep you happy with their vast knowledge. I own a 2003, needed something a little different after owning a couple of Explorers and a Ranger. :driving::supercool:

do a little research to find out if it is job 1 or 2 and add that info to your title

Job 1 has the oil filler on the driver side of the engine. Job 2's oil filler is on the passenger side of the engine.

If you EVER have any problems with your truck, ask here first. We can save you a ton of money by helping with "Check Engine" lights and other things. This site has saved me over $3000 in maintenance over the past 14 years.

I live in St. Croix County in Wisconsin. I have a 2001 Job 2 4x4 with 150,000 miles on it. I bought it new with 5 miles on the odometer. Out of five brand new Fords that I've bought in my life, the Sport Trac has been the BEST vehicle. Other than routine maintenance, all I've had to replace is the 4x4 control module ($100 on ebay) , an alternator ($140), and climate control blower motor ($39).

If you have any questions, just ask. We're a tight group that is always open to adding new members.

Check out the link below. It's an ebay listing for smoked OEM-style tail lights.

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I already ordered a set of Cruise Control switches on amazon for $89 and I have prime membership so they'll be here Friday!

Thank you for the link to the tail lights Mark! I'm going to give some time for other's to respond because I really like the look of the ones that were in that video! But with that price I might have to just get them!

I'll slide under the truck tomorrow to see which side the oil filter is on, and I will report back here! I was going to ask what the major differences are between Job 1 and 2, but I know I cant be the first one to ask that, so I'll do a search! :)

:welcome: Jake!

Browse through the link below, many different styles. Also check the projects section, many cool mods and fixes. :supercool:

I'll slide under the truck tomorrow to see which side the oil filter is on

Oil FILLER. Not FILTER. Open the hood is all you have to do.

If you have a Job 2, the first thing to check on is the dreaded PCV elbow. The original elbow has a high likelihood of cracking and making your truck computer throw a P0171 and P0174 code. Here's where the elbow is located and what the cracked elbow looks like...

bcc39069c9d8a300a5aa0e0c202a8eef.jpg

1789750846c3fcc9ab706227d9b6e54f.jpg

Here's a link for the cheapest price for the replacement part that I've found:

Well it looks like its a Job 2! I'll update my profile, thanks for the help!

Andy my little elbow piece looked to be in real good condition!

Latest posts