New transmission but no reverse or drive

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all!

I just finished putting in a remanufactured transmission. I filled her up with fluid and went to back out of the driveway and realized I have no reverse, so I went from reverse to neutral to drive and have no drive. When I go from d to second it kicks in then when I go back to drive I have drive. If I go to neutral then drive there is nothing. Likewise if I go from neutral to reverse there is nothing. Please help!! All sensors were replaced with the transmission and lines flushed. I even bypassed the radiator. Negative battery cable was off for almost 2 days if not more. Any insights would be highly appreciated!

2001 ST ? your profile is not co0mplete....

IF so, Its something electrical, bad solenoids in the transmission, loose connection, or bad rebuild.

Todd Z

Hey Todd, sorry yes it is a 2001. I have been playing with it all day. I disconnected the solenoid harness and I got reverse. I also was laying under the truck and had someone shift it through the gears. In all the gears I can hear a soleniod buzz. In drive and reverse it buzzes for a minute then stops, it is continuously buzzing in the others. I tried a new position sensor and that didn't solve it. I'm wondering if my pcm could have gone bad?

Thank you for your help you rock!

Well pcm reflash did nothing. Still no reverse and od only works after going to manual second. The company that sent me the transmission says it sounds electrical, Ford tried to tell me that those gears were gone in my transmission. Except when I discount the solenoids I have reverse. I'm so lost it's ridiculous. Any ideas? Wires all test around 12v. Please help!

There was batch of Sport Tracs that Ford recalled for transmission problems because the wrong transmission fluid was installed at the assembly plant?? The only symptom they claimed was that the transmission would lose Reverse ? For vehicles effected by the recall but not having a problem with Reverse, the recall was to put a bottle of a Friction Modifier into the transmission to correct the incorrect fluid. If the transmission would not operate in Reverse, they would replace the transmission. I never believed that story since there has been a lot of transmission problems with Gen-1 Sport Tracs...mostly shift flares (slipping when shifting), no Reverse, or complete failures.

...Rich

Thanks Rich,

Well the newly installed tranny has mercon v in it. I took it to for and had them reflash the pcm, which didn't solve my problem. They obviously said the new remanufactured transmission that was installed needed to be removed and rebuilt. Then I took it to aamco for it to be scanned, no idea if they did because they said it wasn't giving them any codes, which I found weird because on the way home it gave me several. There is a new one p0713. Aamco obviously said that this transmission was bad and needed to be repaired. The guys at powertrain solutions think it's a wiring or computer issue so doubt they will send me another transmission to put in. Really annoyed that Ford has built such a worthless tranny. Used to love fords but this might be my last one. :banghead::throwup::banghead::banghead:

Like I said...I never bought into Ford's explanation that some transmissions were filled with the wrong tranny fluid at the factory...and that adding a friction modifier was the solution.

Most techs at transmission shops are not qualified to diagnose and repair automatic transmissions...their standard solution is to replace the transmission with a rebuild unit from some transmission rebuilding factory they own or contract with.

With the high cost of qualified labor, Nobody wants to diagnose and determine the problem and make only the necessary repairs. So much easier to just to hire a lower paid monkey to replace a transmission than determine what the problem is.

Unless you can locate a good honest shop with trained and experienced transmission techs, you will probably have no choice but to pay for a rebuilt transmission.

...Rich

Hey guys just to update. Set the tranny back and got a new one. I went through and double checked all the wires and found a little crack so I repaired it. New transmission is in and shifts like a dream. I think what cause the crack was the wires weren't hooked into the plastic mounts on the engine so I made sure to secure them on the plastic clips.

Latest posts