Newbie would like to know....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Mallis

Reaction score
Hey how's it I'm tony, a future owner, and I'm no stranger to ford at all. I own an 89 mustang and a 92 exorer currently. Selling the stang and sadly my 228 k explorer in the future. My current lifestyle has a sport trac written all over it!! Now the year and everything else is what I would love to figure out right now.

I would like in my sport trac:

4x4

a/c lol

airbags

four discs if can

auto tranny

and wondering whether v8 or v6. My 4.0L pushrod now is just giving me nothing but love and care back.

Led tailights that loom soooooo sick!!

Best exhaust??

Any small lift kits for cheap

please and thank you for any suggestions.

Please and thank you for any suggestions or insights.

:welcome:

If you want a new gen2 V8. You best hurry. 2010 is the last. The production line is ending and orders have stoped.

:welcome:

Let's see...my '05 Trac has 4 wheel disc brakes...

The Gen 1's ('05 and older) don't have a V8 option so you would have to go with a

Gen 2 if that is what you want.

Most guys on here do the torsion twist and rear shacklel to get a bit more height. No real lift kits like the full size trucks get.

I personally like the Gen 1 style. More rugged looking imo. Whatever you decide to go with, you won't be disappointed. They are great trucks.

:supercool::driving::haveabeer:

There are limited after-market items for the Gen 2's.

Pretty good amount of stuff for the Gen 1's though.

Pretty much MUST get an auto as they no longer make Manual transmissions and when they did make them, they were not too plentiful.

4 wheel disc brakes are stock from 2003 and up.

Don't know the price of lift kits, but many have installed them so they are out there for sure.

You have a few exhaust options, I had a complete Magnaflow on mine and was very happy with it. Improved performance as well as mileage, (as long as I kept my foot out of it)..

Tony,

how are you man, and welcome to the site. this is a great environment and i guarentee you will love it. you will find help, suggestions, parts, etc for your future trac on here. this is one of the best sites there is out there.

only the Gen. 2 will have the V8 Engine.

on Gen. 1 you can do cheap lift known as a Torsion Twist and Shackle lift.

First, welcome to our little site! :welcome: The first generation tracs('01 to '05) are very capable and versitile vehicles. Aftermarket parts are more readilly available for those years. They only came with the 4.0L, V6. Which is an incredible motor and performance parts are out there. The second generation Tracs('07 to '10) came with the optional 4.6L, 3-valve V8. Parts are harder to find and take a good deal of internet research to find any parts for our trucks.

Its really what you can afford, try to get the newest vehicle you can find(afford). The Gen1 is more "trucklike", the Gen2 has all independant suspension and has a more quality ride. Keep coming back, Bob

My cousin is a master yech of twelve years and handles any hard ford prob for me. Thank you everybody. I knew I wanted the gen one but never knew of gen two might have appeled to me.

Hey man, welcome to the site. I own a 2003 that's lifted and I do evrything with it (offroad,daily driver, tow my trailer and show truck, take it to car shows,etc.) Their's quite a few on ebaymotors right now if you're looking. If you want to lift it at all you need a 1st Gen, try and find one that has a Job2 motor in it (late '01-'05) less headaches, easier to fix nad determine what might be wrong with it. Some come with 6 disc changers and factory subs but if not the site sponsers here have anything you'll need or want. Here's a picture of mine before and after the lift to give you an idea. It'll be getting a SAS up front like Chad when I'm done paying it off and going up another 8" or so.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Either way, I think you will enjoy any Sport Trac you choose and it looks like everyone has pretty much covered the main points. Welcome to the site. Its a great place to start for anything Sport Trac related. Since there will be no future truck like the Sport Trac in the foreseeable future, I have decided this will be my hunting/toy truck for a very long time. From what I read, usually when people get rid of a ST, its a really sad day and only out of necessity.

It might be irrelevant depending on what Tony needs from 4wd, but I didn't think the information I posted earlier was controversial concerning the differences in off road capabilities in the two generations. Confused as to why it was deleted unless it was considered off topic. Maybe somehow offensive?

Latest posts