Nissan Frontier

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nissan has done that before. Look at the dash of the Titan and F-150. Personally, I don't see the resemblence between the new Trac and Frontier. The Frontier is not easy on the eyes. That little back doors are a joke to anyone that would actually try to use them.

Tom

No, I don't see the resemblance. If it weren't for the odd looking rear doors, I would actually think the Frontier didn't look half bad. Okay, the tubular roof rack would have to go too.

I think one of the features that sets the Trac aside from the competition is the relatively generous accomodations for the rear passengers. We can thank the Trac's SUV roots for that, while others are merely 4-door pick-ups. Notice how the Sport Trac rear cabin wall is canted forward, while others' are upright?

If GM took the Trailblazer and Envoy and put open beds on them, they would be true competitors to the Sport Trac (Envoy XUT was almost there). As it is, the Avalanche, H2 SUT and Ridgeline come the closest as far as SUT's are concerned.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
;)If you bring up the pic and move the front end all the way off screen and look real fast, it does resemble it. Just don't look to long

One thing I never liked about the Tracs rear seating arrangement is the rear seatbacks made you sit bolt upright. The backs need to be able to recline some.

Darin, take another look at the Frontier. At least the ST has more room in the rear area, and the back area IS slanted somewhat. Fact is, that is a poor copy of what is an intentional "look-a-like" attempt to be like the ST. I like the Frontier, BUT not as much as the ST, simply because it has much more room as FlipTrac notes in his comments. I'm not being arbitrary, just factual. Good try, Nissan, but you come up short in a lot of this vehicle segment. BTW, I just saw an Acura :eek: being loaded onto a flatbed from off the side of the freeway! QUALITY IS NOT EXCLUSIVE TO ANY ONE BRAND OR MAKE. Oh yeah, I saw a flatbed hauling a Lincoln Navigator the day before! :eek:

WOW, and BTW, to show how much they admired the ST, Nissan even copied the gas cap design, right down to the curve over the fender hump!

:eek::eek:

If that ain't ENVY, I will kiss a bull's butt and draw a crowd doing it!:lol:

Sure, if you look at any two vehicles you could find enough similarities between the two. Don't forget that there is a whole world market of vehicles outside of the US. Compact crew-cab pick-ups have been around for a LONG time before the ST, no one is copying the ST, the ST isn't copying anyone else.

That small rear window? That's there for the same reason the window is there on the ST, to limit the window's length to maximize the amount the window is able to be rolled down. Cars do it all the time on the rear doors....the Ford Fusion has a rear window that looks JUST like that a Nissan Altima, Ford musta copied Nissan; that's just ludacris. Form following function in all cases.

Ditto, Tiger. Just saying: THAT FUEL DOOR is an exact copy! Knowing that you are correct as you spoke, I just noted that was a very OBVIOUS COPY, tha'ts all! :lol:

BTW, notice the next time you see a Nissan Altima and a Nissan Maxima, check them out from a side view and you will notice that they share the same body, with a little tweaking near the rear area behind the rear passenger door! Maybe I'm TOO observant, but I can recognize and descraibe a getaway vehicle after it leaves the scene of a crime! :eek:

Even if the door was on the other side, there would still be those claiming its a copy. The fuel door can't go behind the wheelhouse, in either the ST or the Nissan...the spare tire is back there and there is no room for the fuel filler neck. In both trucks, if the fuel door were any higher, it would be too close to the top rail and the fender flare, making the area either too weak or too difficult to produce a quality form inexpensivly.

My last post on this one. Just some observations here on this item, no need to carry it on. I still say it looks very identical and follows the ST's fuel door to the T!

I'm out. Great observations and comments from all! ;)

Now that you mention it, I noticed that the Nissan has a steering wheel and four tires... so does the Sport Trac. I think Ford should definitely sue Nissan... :wacko:

I have a 2005 Nissan Crew Cab and have no problem getting in and out of the back seat. Granted the seats are less comfortable and there is not as much leg room as in the Trac but I am still very happy with it. The 05 Nissan rear leg room is an improvement over the previous years.

I do agree the rear window looks funky, but the window goes down all the way so I guess there are plusses and minuses there.

One feature that Nissan did not copy off of Ford... My Nissan starts each and every time I turn the key... something that couldn't be said for my Sport Trac. :lol:

[Broken External Image]:

I don't know if there's direct copy-catting going on. Maybe some things just make solid and practical design sense.

Let the witch hunt begin!

Cast out thy evil spirits! For you are not one with the Ford Klan! Run in haste! For you may be cast into the fires of hell from which you came!!!!

:p

Latest posts