Nitpicking Install

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MARVIN McINTYRE 2

Reaction score
ST'ers, I have posted a few times about the OD flashing light on my 01' St, and what symptoms it may have, and subsequently, I have decided to go with a local Ford dealer to install a "newsed" tranny with 15,000 K on it. I was ready for the work to be done but the service manager asked me to make sure that the numbers on a small "dogtag" plate attached to the tranny would match the numbers on my 01' ST. I crawled under my TRac last night and, lo and behold, they were not the same! The "newsed" tranny is from a 2002 EST/Ranger with the 5R55E designation, same as my tranny, but the numbers were slightly different. I was told that they had to be the same or else it may cause a problemo for the function of the tranny. Can one of the ST'ers here give me a clue as to what the difference may be, and am I going to have any major setbacks before/after the hook-up? I value your opinions, and that is why I am here with the question. I WANT TO DRIVE IT ASAP. IHAVEN'T DRIVEN IT IN A MONTH OR SO! Help !!!!!

Perhaps the code is identified by the pcm, however there have been no acknowledged upgrades to the 5r55e that have been mentioned here or on any X/ranger site I frequent. I don't believe there are any differences in the auto tranny and wonder if the dealer isn't blowing smoke. According to what he is saying whenever they replace a tranny the same identical tranny has to be used. Sounds a bit odd. I suggest you call a different dealers parts dept. and ask about a new/rebuilt tranny that you may need. See what info they ask you for and if they don't mention the tag bring it up and ask if it is relevant. If they aren't sure try it elsewhere. In fact, try it at a couple of places and see if the responses are the same/similar.

I know I saw a post awhile ago about someone having one from an Explorer put on thiers. There was a difference but I think the computer had to be reprogramed because of a difference in shift points or something. I'll try to find it and post it here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spaceman & stonemiser, I did the loook-see under my ST and compared it to the tranny I bought and then called the service tech at the dealership, gave him the numbers and all, he then called me back and said his tranny tech okayed it as being good to go. BTW, the numbers were very similar, with the differences being that my tranny had 01 stamped on it, and the "newsed" one I bought had 02 on it. It also had a paper tag glued to it that said Ranger, so you are right about it being the same/compatible with my original one. Thanks for your input, and as always here at this site, the owners and buyers of this truck know and share the quirks and thrill of driving and owning this very tough Explorer SUV/SUT.