Nitrogen in my tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POJ Irving

Reaction score
I recently purchased the five spoke stock rims from a member and the wheels came with the Goodyear 255.Tires and Wheels are in great condition.After installing them on my ST I started to hear the whomp, whomp sound from the front tires.Didn't have this problem when I had the stock teardrop with the mitchelin. This morning I went to the Goodyear tire shop and had them check the tires, alignment and replace the air in the tires with Nitrogen - TOTAL COST $85.. I must say it has only been a few hours but the ride was so much better and the whomp, whomp noise was gone. Has any one tried using Nitrogen in your tires?

Yes, we use them in both our track and race car. Also helps prevent corrosion on the inside of the wheel since most air compressors at the gas station have condensation in their units.

PJ,

I agree, ther are advantages with using Nitrogen vs compressed air however there is no connection between the Whomp-Whomp sound you heard. It appears that you may have had a tire that was low on air pressure and perhaps they didn't tell you.

Look at it this way. If they had told you that is was just a tire that was underinflated, would you have spent $85 for all the other stuff when they or you could haved inflated the tire to the proper pressure for free ???

The real advantage with using Nitrogen filled tires on a street driven vehicle is because of the less expansion/contraction fluctiations in air pressures due to temperature changes.

...Rich

I run a rather complicated mixture in my tires, but I have used it for years and it has worked fine as long as I have maintained the integrity of the pressure envelope which confines it:

Nitrogen N2 78.084%

Oxygen O2 20.947%

Argon Ar 0.934%

Carbon Dioxide CO2 0.033%

Neon Ne 18.2 parts per million

Helium He 5.2 parts per million

Krypton Kr 1.1 parts per million

Sulfur dioxide SO2 1.0 parts per million

Methane CH4 2.0 parts per million

Hydrogen H2 0.5 parts per million

Nitrous Oxide N2O 0.5 parts per million

Xenon Xe 0.09 parts per million

Ozone O3 0.07 parts per million

Nitrogen dioxide NO2 0.02 parts per million

Iodine I2 0.01 parts per million

Carbon monoxide CO trace

Ammonia NH3 trace

YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
BBC: add a bit of Oklahoma topsoil to that mix, as we had a pretty good duststorm here yesterday!

Unless they pull a vaccum on the tires, what percent of air is left in them...$85 is way over my head for street driving...I air my tires at home and keep my tanks blowed down of all moisture...:rolleyes:

An alignment was performed and tire check and air replacement. Did they rotate your tires. They may have put a cupped tire in the back so you don't hear it now....

An alignment is $65 bucks here, So 20 bucks for the nitrogen isn't that bad.

Todd Z

I have a small nitrogen tank. It costs me about $9.00 to fill the tank. One tank will fill up about 16 car tires, 12 SUV tires, or 3 RV Tires. The RV tires are 235/85-16 filled to 80 PSI.

Tom

Lawn mower cost ( a good one) $400.00

Gas each year $10

Cut the lawn about 20 times each year

Mower lasts a good 6 years. plus maintenance say $700.00 total

Pay some one else to do it at $35.00 a week...

thats 700 a year......

People pay others to do certain things. IF you do it your self it is normally a lot cheaper.

If you cant do things you have to pay others to do it. Some times you just pay so you don't have to be bothered...

It is not like he paid 200 bucks for the nitrogen, then that would have been highway robbery..

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Putting nitrogen in your tires does not reduce the change in pressure with changes in temperature. Nitrogen at the pressure in your tires is still an ideal gas, and is thus governed by the ideal gas law: PV=nRT. There is a sight different in the mass of air vs. nitrogen in a tire filled to the same pressure, and a very slight difference in the rate at which the tires heat up (due to the difference in the mass of gas in the tire and differences in the specific heats of the gas). But, those differences are negligable. There is a slight benefit from a reduced diffusion rate through the sidewall of the tire for nitrogen vs. air.