No 4-Wheel Drive at all!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy VanNess

Reaction score
Hi All,

We had some snowfall today in the Richmond area. As a result, I was snowed in to my parking spot. (nothing bad, just about 2 inches, if that) However, it was a little icy and I needed a little more traction to get out. I switch it to 4-Wheel HI and nothing. Same with 4-Wheel LOW, nothing. No lights, no engaging, no clicking. I used the forward and reverse technique to get out. I haven't used the 4-Wheel Drive in a while and have had some work done to the ST. Last month I put new shocks on the truck. (probably nothing to do with that) And just before that, I had the upper and lower ball joints replaced. I think it has something to do witht he front end work. Could it be that they forgot to hook something back up? Some sort of safety feature when taking apart the front end? A fuse? Any help would be appreciated. I am at work right now and will check back on the post when I can. Thanks.

:unsure:Tommy

The night before a snow fall I allways put the truck in 4wd and leave it over night that way....

Just to be safe...

Todd Z

It might not be the solenoid, i had the exact problem, if u recall, as did Krash- try checking the 4wd module...take it to the dealer, and have them see if thats it...if thats it, its about a $250 job... worked for me, had same symptoms

Good luck,

Andy

Yeah, I just went out to the ST for lunch and the fuse is fine. I have no idea what it could be. I guess it is back to the dealer for me. Thanks for the input guys.

Tommy

Same problem with me. I guess I have to take it to the dealer since I have an extended warranty which has already paid for itself.

Weird, I tried it again tonight and it worked fine. I hit the switch, the light came on and it engaged. Very different from last night which when nothing happened at all. I have no idea what that means.

Tommy

Tommy,

Starting to sound like it's the transfer case shift motor. If you don't engage your 4wd on a regular basis, the motor can develop a 'flat spot' similar to a bad starter motor. I just went through this myself. I couldn't get the 4wd to engage at times... We knew it was either the control module or the shift motor.

You might try this first the next time it acts up, IF you can wait that long... If you're mechanically inclined, you might be able to replace it yourself, save some money.

If it <B>IS</B> the transfer case shift motor, here's the part # and list price...

1L5Z*7G360*CB

MOTOR ASSY & CONNECTOR

$224.97

Last edited by a moderator: