No luck with 4wd...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Szkutak

Reaction score
Well, i dropped the trac off this morning at the dealer, and i got a call around 1pm saying they hooked it up to the computer as well as drove it, and no problems with the 4wd engagement! i dont knnow whats going on, but i think theres definitely something wrong. Apparently, they had 3 technicians on it, and everything seemed ok..I told them about how it made that loud thud when i put it in 4wd yesterday, they said that could have been because the motor was froze up, and it unfroze?? They cant find any codes in the computer, and they cant find any mechanical or electircla problems..Iguess they are gonna drive it today all day, and see what happens but so far nothing...engages and disengages fine...Nice thing about this is theres no charge! But i still feel something is wrong...

Thanks

Andy

You know when they say "drive it" that means get breakfast/lunch/dinner on your gas...:)

It sucks, Thats why sooo many of us here HATE having our trucks serviced by the dealer...

I would almost guaranty that it is the motor...

What you need to do Is when it happened, Take a rubber mallet go under the truck and hit the 4wd motor... If it engages, Then it is the motor.....

Todd Z

If it does end up being the motor, check out this site for a replacement. The dealer wanted about $300 for the part. I purchased it from this site for $109 plus S+H. It only takes about 20 min to replace. Good Luck :)

The only good thing that came of this trip is that you got it on record that you said there was a problem this soon after them working on it. Be sure and keep thepapers they give you and even since there is "no charge" have them write a slip stating it was there for the problem if they don't try to give you anything. (proof);)