No Torque Converter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Hey all...

Im sure some of you know I had a tune made for my ST to see if the Torque converter was causing my stalling issue, or atleast the lockup solenoid.

I disabled it with the help of Torrie, and it drives like a dream now, I actually like the way it drive without the torque converter even being used. Ive been driving it like this now for a few weeks, and im wondering if I can just leave it as it is?

I of course will get the solenoid changed one of these days, but if I wait a few months is this going to be a problem? Whats the worst that can happen?

Thanks!

I am certain your torque IS being used. I am betting you disabled the Lock-Up capability of the torque. If I am correct, you simply are using a lower than top end gear and will get decreased gas mileage as the engine RPM's will not kick down due to not allowing the torque to lock-up...

Yes yes, the lockup is disengaged.

I didnt mean to say tq not at all functioning.

I get BETTER gas mileage right now than I ever had, I am running a race tune with the lockup disabled. I know this is strange for sure... But on the last 4 tanks of gas I got 40-60km more km out of it than when the lockup was working... with the performance tune, or race tune.

this is why I want to leave it mainly, but it just seems to drive a lot nicer than it had in the past.

At highway speeds the slippage in the TQ converter from non lockup, will create friction on the fluid. Your trans temperatures will be hotter. I would get the problem fixed soon. The higher oil temps may damage the transmision...

CUT and pasted from the "other" post

The solenoid is the cheapest thing,,, IF that doesn't fix it, then the converter it self is sticking, but that is rare, but can happen...

Using the NON lock tune will hurt the MPG and put extra strain on the engine and cooling systems due to the higher RPMS on the highway....

Change the solenoid and go from there..

ENOUGH SAID,,,,,,

Todd Z

the better gass milage could be from the lack of stalling instead of the lack of lock up. but why not just get it fixed instead of dowing more damage to your tranny. Excessive Heat = Bad News for auto transmissions.

Last edited by a moderator: