No Transmission after Filter Change - Help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew Pickwell

Reaction score
Okay all

Did my transmission fluid change tonight.

MESSY

Anyways, NO transmission shift at all after the change. :angry:

I used Valvoline 75k+ fluid.

I adjusted the EPC valve.

If I have no tranny afterword, would you thing that I just did not plug the EPC back in all the way or would anything else cause no reaction at all to the shifting??

I did 1/4 of a turn.

If you go too far, will you loose response??

Thanks!!

Was the fluid mercon5.? Was the filter an exact match. the 2x4 and 4x4 filters are diferent. Did you verify the fluid level?

The filter looks identical and was the 4x2 model. The fluid was actually a little high. I got a little too much going through the filter before I realized it.

I used this fluid as I was told that it was compatible.

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=6

Yep trac is right that fluid is not. that is the original mercon spec. You need a complete trans flush and refill with mercon V (5)....

Prob not the case, but I remember reading of a member who changed their fluid, but ended up putting it in the wrong filler pipe.....the oil was put into the crankcase, not the trans.

As flakey as these transmissions are, I wouldn't put anything but the specified replacement fluid back in.

Messing with that EPC thingie....may have adjusted it too far or it didn't get hooked back up correctly.

I admire that you guys do your own work on your trucks....for things that could happen such as this is why I don't mess with that kind of stuff. ;)

Matt.......... I hope you get it sorted out

I understand that the Sport Trac transmission filter had an O-ring seal on it and that it is very easy to miss it. If you do, you will break the syphon of the pump and it will not suck up any fluid...thus no transmission shifting or operation without fluid.

That of course assumes that you used the correct filter in the first place. Even if you had used the wrong fluid, it probably would not have prevented the transmission from working...at least for a little while.

Yes, I think you missed the O-ring and it's probably still attached to your old filter.

Good luck,

...Rich

This is the fluid you should have used. It is very important to use the right fluid. (link below)

If I were you, I would remove the pan and filter. Check everything once, then again. Make sure the filters are the same and the O-Ring is in the right place. Make sure everything is accounted for. Put everything back together and use the correct fluid.

Interesting note about the Max Life fluids, I have read some articles online that the Max Life oil cause gas mileage to drop

Tom

I have to agree somewhat with the others. You either left something unplugged/ damaged the EPC or forgot the o-ring on the filter and while your choice of trans fluid may have not been the best in the world it is not causing your problem RIGHT NOW.

Thanks for all of the help.

O-Rings were good. They were holding the filter in place till I bolted it back in.

I am going to reflush and check the EPC tonight.

Matt 02,

Don't be embarrassed. You may have made a mistake someone else could make and you could save them the trouble.

Did you do an oil change because instead of 5W30 you put Mercon?

I'm sorry, I'm trying to make light of things. It's late, goodnight.

I won't tell you what the problem was, but got it fixed just right

As Jeff stated.....you really could help another member from making the same mistake by saying what went wrong with your trans fluid change.

That is what this site is all about......sharing info good or bad. Even if it was a stupid mistake, it could save someone else the same mistake.

Ya Mat, Tell us what dumb thing you did to screw up your transmission...Like forgetting to put the fluid in, or puting the fluid in and leaving the pan off, put the filter in upside down, or backwards, etc.

Believe me, we have al done them kinds of embarassing things at one time or another....It's all part of the learing experience and you will laugh at them later, so you might just as well fess up, so we can all have a good laugh now.

:lol::lol::lol:

...Rich

Here is a bone headed thing I did a few weeks ago.

I pulled an engine out of a car being sent to the wreckers some years back. I dug it out of the garage and tried to seperate the engine from the tranny. I pulled the tranny bolts and tried to remove the tranny. It wouldnt budge. I asked around here for some advice. Some suggested that possibly the clutch disk splines were rusted to the tranny input shaft. I pull the oil pan to gain access to the flywheel. Still no dice.

I lose my temper and grab a block of wood, lay it on the tranny, and grab my sledge hammer. I smack the tranny with the sledge and break the block of wood. Tranny wouldn't budge. So I starte to remove the clutch slave cyilinder and engine mounts.

I missed one bolt. Removed the bolt and sure engough, it came right apart.

Things happen. Even the best make stoopid mistakes.

Tom

Tom, are you saying you're the best?:rolleyes:

There was a thread recently about someone that accidentally tried to refill the transmission through the engine oil dipstick. Obviously it didn't go into the transmission. He was mystified at the transmission's total lack of fluid, and wondered where it could have gone. He finally found it in the now very overfilled engine! From your oil change, I assume that also happened to you. It happens. Don't worry about it. We've all done really boneheaded things before. Some of the people on here have done things that have cost them a lot of money. You actually got off pretty light.

The only person that never made a mistake is the person that never did anything.

Here is a funny one. First off, I am a people watcher. I spend more time watching other people than myself. Anyways, a while back I was gas and I was watching a woman trying to fill her washer fluid tank on her Thunderbird. She pop's the lid and gets ready to pour. My father had a Thunderbird and she was not pouring it into the washer fluit tank, but actually into the radiator overflow.

I ran over there to stop her, showed her the right one to fill.

She thanked me and wondered why after she filled it, she still got no squirt on her windshield. Now she knows.

I am sure we all heard the joke about the woman walking into the car dealer looking for the 710 cap. When the parts guy was confused, he asked her to show him what a 710 cap was.

710 is OIL upside down.

Tom

My biggest bone head was I rebuilt an engine for a plymouth with auto trans. After I planted and bolted the motor down, bell housing and all. I found the torque converter on the side of the garage. Forgot to put it on the crank, DUH!!:blink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts