No Transmission after Filter Change - Help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A brand new "710" cap can be yours for $5.99!

52b4f54849f40ff28932944a083156b7.jpg

I changed the oil on my Mustang II several years ago. I let it all drain, put on a new filter, poured 5-quarts of Quaker State in it (remember the oil spouts for the metal cans?), and started the engine to let it idle a bit. Ran inside to wash my hands, took a phone call, came back out and saw a huge puddle on the ground under the mustang's mighty 2.3 liter 4-banger. I shut it down and then crawled under to put the oil plug back in the pan. Had to call my mom to bring me some more Quaker State after work. Anyway, poured in another 5 quarts when mom got home, fired it up, expecting the worst. It ran fine, even after idling for about 20 minutes with NO OIL in the pan. It may have burned a quart every 2000 miles, but it seriously was no different than before. I was so amazed and thankful. I prayed to God that night a big "thank you" and vowed not to be wicked again for at least a few days...

Here is a funny one.

I was dating a girl that needed a car really bad. I ended up getting her a Mercury Zephyr with a 200 CI I6 with 250,000 miles on it for $300.00. Car ran good.

Well, I took it to get emmission testing and it failed.

I took it into my place of employment to do a tune-up on it. I put new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor on it. Started it up and it ran OK, note I said "OK" and not good. I took it for a test drive when I got back to the shop, I heard a loud noise under the vehicle. It was a loud clanking/snaping/clicking sound.

I climb underneith it to get a better look at I notice the converter is cherry red.

I crossed the 5 and 6 wires. Oh crap!!! I quickly put them on wrong and start it up. Right away, it went from red to black.

Then engine then ran good. Nice and smooth.

I was sure I trashed the converter. I had almost an empyt tank, so I poured in 2 gallons of Isopropyl alcohol into the tank, drove to the station and put in a couple gallons of gas into it.

Took it to testing station and it passed with flying colors, better than new cars passed.

Mind yu, this was WITHOUT any polution control under the hood connected. Only the converter after it was cooked cherry red and alcohol in the tank.

It ran that was another 50,000 miles when the motormounts finally gave out and couldn't be fixed.

Tom

Nice ones guys.

My bonehead maintenance move was with my 'ol 95 Ranger. I did a routine oil change on her and drove her around like normal. I think it was a couple of days later I happened to pop the hood, and what do I see? The 710 cap was not installed, and infact, the oil funnel was still sitting in the filler! I'm not sure how that 710 cap didn't manage to fall out of the engine bay and onto some unknown road/freeway.

Oh yeah, I used to drive a 82 Nissan Sentra that I routinely washed with Tide. Yes, Tide laundry detergent. I look back and realize that that car's finish probably wasn't supposed to be Brushed Aluminum, but some kind of Silver Birch.

Oh yeah, on that same Nissan, I never changed the oil. I only added oil. I thought this was the same thing.

A while back I had a 1985 Thunderbird Elan. I did an oil change, started it up, and after a few seconds, heard a loud "POP" and oil started going everywhere... Thus came my note to self for all future oil changes.. CHECK TO SEE IF THE RUBBER O RING CAME OFF WITH THE OLD FILTER. (Because 2 O rings dont make a right) lol

Latest posts