Noise on cold days.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn stonbraker 2

Reaction score
Ok, thought I'd run this past everyone to get some ideas as to the cause. Near the end of last winter, I started to hear a high pitched "whine" that went along with the RPM. (RPM increase so does the pitch of the whine)The only thing I can compare it to is the sound you get when using a high watt amp without the noise filter. (alternater noise) It went away during the summer but IT"S BAAACK! Now the difference between last year and now is last year it would do it only when the engine was cold, now it does it the whole way home from work. (30 min drive) It only does it every so often and only till the Tranny shifts then it dissappears. It almost sounds like it's comming through my front speakers even when the radio is turned off. I can't seem to get it do do it when I'm out over the engine. give me your thoughts and sorry for the long post.;)

It is your alternator. There is a TSB on this. If your under coverage Ford will replace it for free. They will remove yours and install the alternator that is in the 4 Door Explorer, (Not the Sport or the Sport Trac). The replacement is a higher amperage alternator.

I'll pull the TSB for you in a moment...

Well, I can't seem to find the TSB now.

It only affects cold weather vehicles. Mine was replace with no problem at all.

Both the power steering pump and the alternator are a higher output from the 4 door Explorer.

Ford puts these items on when there is an issue with either of them on our Tracs...

I've gotten that high pitched whine also but it goes away after the engine warms up. Any problem if I don't have it replaced?

Ford warranty replaced my alternator last winter because of the whine. Fixed the problem.

My alternator whined today when pushing up the RPMs. Its been cold the past several days (was 10 deg F outside) and I DIDN'T warm up the vehicle before driving this morning like I have the past morning. This morning was the first time I heard the whine this year....but I heard it once before last year....same thing; really cold, no warm up prior to driving.

Oh, and I tried to get the dealer to replace the alternator, but they couldn't reproduce the problem.

One last thing... My airbag light flashed a couple of times this AM, then stayed on. But when I stopped and restarted the Trac, it went off and stayed off.

Are airbag sensors suspceptible to the cold?

TJR

TJR, All sensors are susceptible to cold. That is how mine started but now like I said it will do it off and on all the way home from work (3-11pm) and the last couple times it hasn't been over 15 degrees out.;)