Noise @ slow roll turning wheels

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charles Faile

Reaction score
I am not really sure if its the suspension or not. But I have a 05 w/ 25000 miles and it is lowered about 3" all the way round and it has RSX's . So I have a poping and kinda crackling noise coming from both sides of the truck sounds like right under where my pedels are but under the truck at slow turning speed on unlevel surfaces. The slower you go the noise is louder.You hear it best when backing out of a driveway. But in normal driving down the road I dont hear it. Its weird I can push up and down on the front really hard and dont hear anything. I thought it could be maybe something w/ the torsion bars but I think it doesnt do it w/ the wheel straight. Maybe ball joints? Any one ever experience this?

4x4 or 2 wheel drive? If it's a 4x4, it could be one of the front half shaft universals. Is it when the wheels are turned all the way left or right, or just normal turning? Look underneith and see if there are any rub marks from the tires, or you can turn the tires and see if they are rubbing on something.;)

Sorry guys its a 2 wheel drive. And its not a rubbing sound. Its a pop and crackling noise. And when I say slow roll I mean just barely moving 1-2 mph. Like when you back out of a drive way and turn your wheels. And I think you only have to slightly turn them and the noise is pretty loud. Its still under warranty but I know the dealer is going to give me a hard time because it is lowered.

OK. If it were ball joints do you think it would make the noise when I push up and down on the front end? And wheel bearings I jacked the front up and spun the tires and also shook them but didnt really hear the noise. And thanks guys for your responses.

When you push up and down the ball joints will usually make noise. Jacking it up, if the wheels wiggle it's a bearing (just happened on mine a few weeks ago), if you spin them it might not make noise because there is no weight on the wheel.

Hey JohnnyO

Should there be no movement at all when you push and pull on the front tire w/ them off the ground. I did that and when I push and pulled I got a clunk clunk w/ the push and pull. Is this normal or do I need both wheel bearings. I is kind of weird both sides go out at the same time. And thanks for your help.

Charles

Correct, there should be no movement. You likely have bad wheel bearings. Although since you have a 4x2 it will probably cost a lot less to fix than mine did.

Latest posts