Northern Ontario Members

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerry Mac

Reaction score
Hi Neighbours,

I am contemplating retirement and I am considering where I would like to live. Northern Ontario has many lakes and good fishing which is an important part of my life. I have seen ads on our local TV about Elliot Lake for example.

My question is, can you give me some idea what auto insurance with good coverage will cost. I have a spotless 45 year driving record and currently have 5 million liability, 100 deductible, full glass, fire & theft and comprehensive with vehicle replacement. This costs me just under $1000.00 per year. I live in Manitoba and have Public Insurance.

I have an '09 Sport Trac.

Thanks

Gerry Mac

Gerry!

Despite the other provinces knowing us as "Onterrible," I still firmly believe that Ontario is one of the best places to live in Canada.

I can't speak for the insurance rates there, as I'm sure they differ somewhat between Northern ON and Southwestern ON (Where I live).

I'm sure you are already aware about the abundance of insects (black flies, deer flies, mosquitoes) during the summer months and being damn-near isolated in the winter months due to so much snow.

Would you consider moving to Central Ontario? I'm thinking something like North Bay, Sault Ste. Marie, or, better yet, somewhere near Algonquin park.

The scenery is beautiful and there are hundreds of lakes scattered throughout the area and you are close to major urban areas should the need arise. My grandparents live in Kincardine (off of lake Huron) and find it useful to be close to London and Toronto, as they've had to come down for surgery on many occasions. Unfortunately when you are considering retirement locations, you also probably should be considering that kinda stuff too.

Oh and one last thing.. The HST isn't so bad. That is, if you don't mind paying out the nose for every-frickin-thing in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaun,

Thanks you for the response. I guess I should have said that Elliot Lake is actually 200 km east of Sault St Marie. I actually spent my teen years in Fort Erie and I am very fond of Ontario.

Gerry Mac

Gerry,

I live in Timmins (and have lived in Sudbury, New Liskeard, and Barrie - as well as having lived in Alberta), so I can give you a first hand account of what it's like living in the north (vs. the false notions of us being snowed in, or inundated with blackflies).... hahaha

I'll start with your question about insurance: Insurance rates in Ontario would be roughly double what you are paying now for the same coverage - but that is speculation at best. My suggestion would be for you to call an insurance broker in the area you would like to live, and ask for a quote. www.canada411.ca is a great place to start - Canada-wide yellow page searches.

We have pretty well the exact same amount of insects as there is in the southern portion of Ontario (outside the major centers) - I live in the city of Timmins, and there is a 2 week period in the spring where there are a noticeable amount of blackflies in town. In the bush, you'll notice the insects on days where the wind is minimal, but a little deet goes a long way in keeping you comfortable... no different at all than in the muskokas. The exception to this: If you're standing in a cedar swamp, you'll be covered in bugs (but, it's like that everywhere in Ontario).

Winters: Again, quite similar to Central Ontario - we get a little more cold temperatures, and perhaps 10% to 15% more snow fall - but you'll be far from isolated, as we have these wonderful snowplow things that facilitate us in getting out on the street... but, I would definitely recommend a snowblower (not that the snow is all that bad, I'm just getting lazier as I get older... haha)

If you're an outdoorsman, you'll be hard pressed to find a better place than Northern Ontario. I'm an avid hunter, and moderately dedicated fisherman. I can hit the old logging roads and fish a different lake every day, all summer, without hitting the same lake twice. I have found that a good set of fishing maps (most locally owned angling shops stock them) have proven to be a priceless addition to my tacle box - that way I can target specific species of fish that are prevalent in specific lakes. (I've become somewhat of a brook trout fishing addict as of late - there's no shortage of trout filled streams around my area).

The downside: we're taxed to death here in comparison to the Provinces to the west of us, and the government services that those taxes pay for leave a lot to be desired (especially in the north). Politicians do not feel compelled to send too much money back to the north, since their election/re-election does not hinge on such a small demographic (population wise).

Feel free to P.M. me if you have any other questions (as long as the questions don't involve retirement in and of itself, since I am working on the freedom 85 plan, I'll be of little help).

Shawn