Not my ST but....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Allen

Reaction score
I have an off topic question regarding my work Vehicle. I purchased an 89 toyota Corolla to drive to and from work to keep the kilometers down on my ST. I paid $500 for the car so I'm not too concerned about the appearance as you can imagine. I have a mechanical question though, someone may know something about. Recently when I turn right while accelerating or applying the gas I'm getting a clunking noise coming from the front drivers side tire. The clunk speed varies depending on my speed. Any ideas? It's fine if I'm just coasting.

Rob

Constant Velocity Joint, or in layman's terms, the drive axle.

Though it is the actual joint, I am pretty sure you will find it cheaper and MUCH easier to simply replace the axle.

It is not a hard job, we charge $69.00 at our shop to swap it out plus the cost of the shop...

I would say you have a CV joint issue. The reason I say this is because it is fine when coasting. If you are putting power to the wheel, the CV joint issue will show itself.

Without hearing it, it is hard to diagnose, but my money says CV Joint.

You need to replace the complete axle from the transaxle to the wheel. It is sold as one unit. It should run about $250.00.

Tom

Wow, quick response! Not looking to spend any money on the car. I know there are a lot of factors involved and every scenario is different depending on ware, how long would you think it may last?

If you want to continue driving the car, you're gonna have to put some money into it. It will fail eventually... could be days, weeks, months, but it will fail.

Rob, what year is it? Auto or manual tranny?

If, no,,, make it when, the CV fails, you will simply stop moving. Thus, you will be looking at the cost of a tow as well as any potential damage that may be caused by the flopping axle, (not a common issue but it does happen).

It can run forever with proper maintenance.

Like I used to tell my customers when buying a used Honda and not getting

the extended warranty.

"I've never seen a Honda dealership without a Service Department!"

Sounds like a CV joint to me too.

I'd get it fixed before it goes out and leaves you stranded somewhere.

Thanks guys, I only drive it to and from work, I figure, if it dies, I'll have it towed to a charity like the Kidney Car program and drive my ST from there.

tom,

i do not know how to do the quote "thing" on this site.

so, you mention that the honda service dep't is always busy.....

that is because the majority of the work done is routine maintenance.

at the ford service dep't they are trying to find a way of getting out of the transmission TSB.

so, you mention that the honda service dep't is always busy.....

that is because the majority of the work done is routine maintenance.

All dealer service departments are busy. They all break down.

Are you trying to start a fight? Chill down. Take a breath of fresh air and grow up.

Tom

Gary S, what you said is actually my experience. I owned two Toyotas before my STs. One reason why the service department is always busy is that there are fewer Toyota dealerships than Ford ones. I did take my Toyotas to their service departments for routine maintenance, because they had excellent prices, did the work quickly and correctly, and they gave my car back to me freshly washed in most cases. I never took either of my Toyotas in for warranty repair.

My STs were frequently in the service department. Once I spend five Saturdays in a row in the Service Department, for a few different issues. Most of the issues I had required two visits. One visit to diagnose the problem, and a second visit a week or two later after the parts came in to fix the issue. :(

Nelson, I agree with you about the Ford service departments. They CAN NOT do anything in one visit. For the first visit they order the part, the second visit to start the repair, and the third visit to finish it...and it was never finished when they said it would be...

Visit a Toyota or Honda dealer. There are many cars sitting there getting new engines and tranny's. It is the way it is. Not calling any of them junk by saying this.

There is a local store that sells damaged and unclaimed freight. On a weekly basis, you will see at a minimum of 1 new Toyota or Nissan engine sitting there.

No vehicle is flawless. They all have problems.

Tom

People who buy a $30,000 truck and who try to "save it" or "save money" by buying another vehicle crack me up. They never save any money, and all they end up doing is not driving their truck that they like.

If I'm spending $30k on a nice truck, I am going to drive it!

If I wanted to save money, I wouldn't have bought a nice new sport trac.