not so good gas mileage

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have 7000 miles on my 07 ST XLT v6.

I consistently get 15.5 mpg in town and 19.6ish on the interstate.

I've tested this with a heavy foot and a light foot, the results do not vary significantly.

Is this on par with what you guys are getting?

Sounds pretty close to what I get with an 01 V6, but mine drops alot if I have a lead foot. :)

The diffrence between 70 and 80 is around 2-3 mpg on the highway and I have seen pretty bad (13 or so) around town if I get on the gas pedal.

Pretty close to my Job 1 2001 too. My average around town is about 15 and around 21 on the interstate, but my most recent tankful, which was all in stop and go city traffic, was just above 12 mpg. Like cruzrtwdgt said, limiting your interstate speed can have better results, but you can expect to see about what you've already got.

Yep, that's about normal. Some get a little more, some get a little less, and some get a lot less. Wait till you get about 10K miles before you make a judgement on fuel mileage.

I did not get great mileage on either of my 2001 and 2003 Sport Trac's until I got 10K miles on them, then the mileage improved. Now I get about 16-17 in the city and 20-22 on the highway depending on traffic conditions.

...Rich

Chrisb, do you know what the sticker indicated? I'm not sure what the '07 are rated for.

Rest assured though, what you are seeing is pretty typical.

I wonder if Ford, or maybe the industry in general, has a problem with their sticker MPG ratings being a little overly optimistic.

TJR

I heard that when the new EPA ratings came in for the 2008 (?) models that the mileage predictions would drop something like 20%, because the new predictions would take into account factors that were not previously addressed.

Edit: Found a link that says Phase one of the updated tests will go into effect in 2008 with Phase two in 2011. The new tests take into account use of air conditioning and other modern technology parts, as well as "clogged commuter roles" and "high speed interstate driving."

Phase one could cut mileage estimates by as much as 13 percent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was getting about the same on my '07 ST V6, then switched to 89 Octane and picked up between 1 - 1.5 MPG.

Picked up another 1-1.5 MPG with XCal2 89 Octane mileage tune from Torrie.

Terry

Edit == Added link

I have 7000 miles on my 07 ST XLT v6.

I consistently get 15.5 mpg in town and 19.6ish on the interstate.

Sounds about right. I do worse than that in town. I'm on my second 4.0 SOHC (1 Ranger, 1 ST) and I can tell you that it is a very "tight" engine when new. Takes about 10-12,000 miles to break in and loosen up a bit. Me, I change the oil the first time at 2500 miles with regular oil, then at 5000 and every 5000 with after synthetic.

The ST is not the vehicle to get if you worried about gas mileage. Of course there aren't really any pick+ups that get good gas mileage.

so far after 400 miles, my 07 v-8 is getting no more than 13.5 mpg . i hope this is just for the break in period.

I wonder if Ford, or maybe the industry in general, has a problem with their sticker MPG ratings being a little overly optimistic.

Those ratings on the sticker are dead on. The test the GOVERNMENT mandates for the EPA ratings are by the GOVERNMENT and have NOTHING to do with the auto manufacturer. NOTHING to do with the manufacturer.

Don't like it? File a complaint with the GOVERNMENT. The are the ones to blame.

Tom

My 271HP 4x4 4door full size truck get 14-15MPG city, 18MGP Highway. Very close to the ST.

Caymen is correct about the govenment controlling the EPA milage stickers.

The stated city/highway mileages quoted on the stickers are based on calculations that are over 25 years old and sorely outdated. Everyone agrees that highway speed limits have increased from 55 MPH to 70-75 MPH and the traffic around most metropolitan areas has increased dramatically.

Until the EPA changes their formulas, you will no be able to rely on what the sticker says unless you live in more rural areas and don't drive over 55 MPH on the highways.

...Rich

Thanks, guys. I know Ford's probably not to blame with the MPG claims being off. That's why I said "...or maybe the industry in general..." when I asked if the MPG ratings were overly optimistic.

Thanks STCTC for the link.

Have read where the "way" epa estimates are computed will change in the near future. According to the article on msnbc I think, the current tests are in a "windless environment" or no rolling resistance or wind resistance on the vehicle which would make the mpg estimates high. The article stated the epa estimates would be arrived at in a "more realistic" environment, but how can the government be "realistic" and would account for wind resistance and rolling resistance, etc. We'll see

I've been watching my mileage on my '07 Limited computer display this week.

When I am warmed up and driving 70MPH, my truck averages 16.1 MPG.

My general "go to work and then back home" driving, including cold starts from my garage to drive the two miles to my job and back, all in-town, my average is 8.4 MPG.

I hope it gets a little better as it breaks in.

Latest posts