Now what? GRRR!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Well, I took my ST into a Transmission place today, to inspect my hunch of a torque converter, or lockup solenoid problem...

I just recied a call from them saying they cant hear the squeeling noise that is soooooo evident to anyone thats ever been in my ST, and now they dont hear it....

Second, he says he doesnt think its the Tranny or the Torque Converter/Lockup Solenoid, cause the truck would just die -- I then told him it does! But he seems to think its something else other than that...

I am so F(&^KING tired of this. I *KNOW* there is something wrong down there but no one wants to seem to deal with it...

What I dont understand is that would I take it in for them to fix, knowing it might cost me an arm and a leg, just for something to do???

How can I get someone to seriously look at this tranny and torque converter, stop the squeeling, and test out the torque converter and/or solenoid?????????????

Do I have to take it to a dealership? Or will I just get the same run around there?

Its not even thier proble, but for some reason no one wants to take the time to diagnose my claims.

IS your ST a job 1, and could have the bad intake manifold gaskets, or some other engine problem, and your hunting down the wrong path with the transmission...

Todd Z

Have you done the seafoam cleaning for your intake? Mine would idle rough and sometimes want to stall when coming to a stop.

This is what ive done to try to fix this...

Seafoam cleaning

Fuel Filter

Cleaned Air filter

Cleaned Throttle Body

Checked elbow known for cracking

Cleaned Intake tube and related parts

Cleaned MAF sensor w/ Electrical Cleaner stuff

Took it to a tranny place to see about it being a tranny/torque converter

What else can I try? My only hope right now seems to be a possible vacuum leak elsewhere, or when they take off my tranny pan today they see something wrong inside....

Second, he says he doesnt think its the Tranny or the Torque Converter/Lockup Solenoid, cause the truck would just die -- I then told him it does! But he seems to think its something else other than that...

Sounds like they are at least an honest dealer. They are in the business to make money, and if you want them to "fix" it, I am sure they would, but at least they aren't trying to take you to the cleaners.

Had an old Chevy Spectrum once, exhaust smoked real bad and tranny wouldn't shift. Tow to aamco. They call right back, "you need a new tranny that costs a gazillion dollars". I tell them to keep the car, I paid 100.00 for it. They then say, well, maybe it's the modulator. I ask how much and get a price of like 100.00. I tell them to do it and the car lasted another 3 years until I traded it on a new car.

I tend to agree with the tranny shop. If there was even a hint that the transmission was at fault they would con you into having it rebuilt.

There are a lot mor things that can be causing your stalling problem and a good diagnostics technician should be able to find it.

My personal opinion is that you have one or more bad or dirty injectors. I think you probably need a professional injector cleaning (not the stuff you put in your gas tank). That will clean any deposits off of any dirty injectors and any that are missfiring after that need to be replaced.

...Rich

To check the vacuum you need a vacuum Gauge and hook it to a vacuum line..

ALSO the common elbow hose is connected to the PCV valve on the back of the Drivers side valve cover...

THE PCV could be stuck open...

or that hose leaking..

How do your brakes feel??? does stepping on the brake change the engine rpm???

YOU can remove the brake booster line with the truck running and plug it with your finger to see if the brake booster is leaking..

Todd Z

Once I get the ST back I will try these things...

The wierd thing about it is, it ONLY stalls when I am coming to a stop, or go around a corner slowly sometimes... It only happens once in a while, but more often now than ever before.

It runs 100% other than a stall while braking.

PCV Valve, if this gets stuck open from time to time, would it ony be during braking? Would that cause stallling during braking?

THanks all

Not to sound stupid, but what about the fuel pump or maybe water in the gas? Maybe even line partially froze? (I see you are in Canada, so it's got to be cold) Maybe it is getting enough fuel when you are driving, but as soon as you take your foot off the gas it is getting starved. Just a thought.;)

Did alittle searching and found that alot of people that own Toyota Corrolas (sp) have the same stalling problem (they sound alot like us on here). The main culprit there seemed to be the EGR valve being bad. May be another place to check.;)

So, maybe for maintenance sake, Ill pickup the EGR valve, and PCV valve today. When I get my trac, and hopefully my ipod back.

stone, I think if it was deprived of gas -- idle wouldnt last very long either. I did change the fuel filter as well, but no change.

Thanks guys, Ill see what I can come up with tonight.

I miss my baby!

XST,

It can be very expensive trying to replace every part that someone suggests here. I strongly urge your to diagnose what the problem is first. You can spend hundreds of dollars to replace all the suspected parts and still have the same stalling problem. It can me any number of parts that can be expensive, or a 10 cent piece of hose, or just a matter of turning an adjustment screw.

For all the money you are willing to spend on parts that may or may not be the problem you could go to a competent mechanic with the diagnostice tools and knowhow to find the problem. Then you can determine if you want to fix it or if you want him to do it.

The most common cause for stalling are a dirty or malfunctioning AIC valve, a dirty or out of adjustment Throttlebody, and to a lesser degree the EGR valve. The Sport Trac EGR is equiped with an EGR sensor (DPFE sensor) which can detect when EGR gas is or is not flowing and will trigger a CEL light if it detects too much or too little EGR flow. I do not know if it can detect EGR flow at idle which is not good and will cause stalling, but I suspect that it would.

If you insist on doing this yourself, you should start by cleaning the IAC and throttlebody.

...Rich

Richard L, from his fourth post, he has already cleaned the throttlebody and IAC

Yes, and I have replaced the DPFE as well in the past...

I guess I should repeat also that I am not getting a CEL.... Which makes it kinda hard too.

I do however see I have a P1000 code... Engine check not complete or whatever...