O/d flashing update !!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flavio montes

Reaction score
Hello sport trac friends !! I know there is a post of this but i had more quedtions to it and doubt anybody would see it and response . So as you guys can tell im getting the o/d flashing light . I recently installed a system on my truck and been messing with it , and all of a sudden ive started to get the flashing o/d after driving a bit it starts flashing but if i turn it on it dissapears but yesterday it did it after i drove a bit more . When i got home i disconnected both battery terminals for more then half an hour and today i drove the same distance and place and saw no light . Is the problem fixed ? Could it be a sensor as my boss told me that had happened to him on a ford ? Or is it something else ? My sport trac when bought did it here and there but yesterday it really got to me . I will be taking it to the shop monday . But want suggestions please . Ive never had a problem with the truck till know . Its pretty rusted from the bottom . Help :-(

Could just be a missed shift by the auto trans picked up by the sensor. Might also be a sensor needing cleaned or replaced. The flashing OD light only means the computer picked up a problem a sensor told it about. My ABS light does the same thing it comes on then I turn the truck on and off and it goes away been trying to figure out what it is I have replaced just about everything.

So obviously you don't think that there is a problem being that you don't feel the transmission doing anything funny which would lead me to believe that you are having issues with the torque converter locking up. Most people don't ever actually feel the torque converter locking up as it is very subtle. Next time the light starts flashing get the codes for the transmission read adn I'll bet you find a P0741. It could be a solenoid issue but with the miles you have on it and knowing these vehicles your are looking at a new trans.

Elliott

What codes are you getting out of the ABS?

Thank you l1tech . I will be seeing my trusted mechanic monday but in the mean time do you think its dangerous to drive around . Today i havent seen the light flash up . This will be the second day i wouldnt be seeing it flash up. I just feel hard shifts thats about it .

I recently installed a system on my truck and been messing with it , and all of a sudden ive started

Junior, what do you mean? Installed a system and messing with it.

Im curious if what you have done has something to do with it. Some of us have had some upgrades cause problems.

If it is a chip or such. Sometimes they cause problems. The only way to go for tuning is the sct x-cal. Our sponsor Torrie is good at tuning and not have problems.

Just messing like putting in a stereo system , nithing really upgraded like a chip . I just hope its not the transmission because i dont want to let the sport trac go :-(

OK, the stereo didnt cause it.

As Scott said, about the trans solenoid. Some of the earlier tracs had some bad solenoids and bad valvebody gaskets. For some, If the trans is good. The fix has been about $500 to $700.

Latest posts