O.T.: California lawmaker wants to ban conventional light bulbs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer the new bulbs. I get tired of changing bulbs all the time. 76 sockets for me.

They do not work to well with dimmer switches or night on day off sensors.

I have changed out a few of mine. The problem is several of my lights are on dimmers or in lamps with a 3 way bulb. Others are the small ceiling fan lights or other fixtures that require small incandescents which I don't think I can change without changing the entire fixture.

I did recently go to a seminar that talked about our dismal oil future and they said we could save a whole lot of our oil dependency if everyone in the US would switch to fluorescents. So maybe this needs to be a national thing. As things are right now, we Americans are gluttons and not capable of reducing our oil dependency on our own.

Fluorescent blubs may cause skin cancer. Also the flickering has shown to cause migranes. Just another freedom taken away, the right to choose what type of light bulb you can use.....

Even though I agree that he's a wacko for the idea of forcing that issue down the people's throats (typical califonia lib politician), I have long since switched to fluorescent bulbs ... trying to cut down on the energy bill as well as not having a bulb burn out on me every week or so. The only regular bulbs i have left are the rear deck (outside) bulbs since I have them on a dimmer (to keep from annoying the neighbors too much ;) ...

I started replacing my standard bulbs with the newer fluorescent bulbs last year. I didn't go out and buy one for every bulb in the house, but now, when a bulb goes out, and I don't have an extra, I'll buy the fluorescent bulb. All 3 on my ceiling fan in the living room are the newer style, as well as the 3 on the fan in the dining area, hallway, washer/dryer room, my bathroom, my closet, my room, and outside on the deck and street lights. About the only standard bulbs left are on the back porch and above the mirror in the bathrooms. It took a little over a year, and I've not really noticed a decrease in the power bill, but I've not had to replace any of the fluorescent bulbs yet, either.

This seems to be a booming market, brought on by consumer demand. They seem to be coming out with more and more compact florescent bulbs to fit just about every application. You can even get them in soft light and the "daylight" type of light, which is supposed to be easier on the eyes. I have seen dimmable 65W equivalent flood bulbs at Wal-Mart. I want to try one of these, just haven't gotten around to buying one yet. I have some others in various locations of my house, and have been pleased so far. I even have a three-way bulb that seems to work well. I plan to eventually replace all of my bulbs with these to save energy.

According to article, this bill was introduced to force Californians to save energy, and to combat the alleged threat of global warming. Let's say that this passes. If the only bulbs available in CA are compact florescent bulbs, what happens when it's time to replace these? Usually, when bulbs are disposed of, they end up getting broken. This will release tons of the gases found in these bulbs into the atmosphere in CA, further polluting the environment. So Californians would still be harming the environment. I wonder if the Assemblyman thought of that...:blink:

He should withdraw this ridiculous bill and just let the market take care of itself. If Californians demand more of these bulbs, than more will be sold there.

The bulbs work great, but florescent bulbs have a small drop of mercury in them which, in abundance and not properly disposed of, can cause environmental problems on their own.

I like flourescents, since I can put 250 equivalent watts of light on a 60 watt fixture! Ok, so it takes 2 of the 125 watt bulbs on a splitter, but at least the fixture won't melt! I'm just waiting for the 300 to 500 equivalent watt bulbs that only use 100 watts! My wife loves these lamps with painted glass, so the light coming out is greatly diminished.

Last edited by a moderator:
But lightbulbs are legal in all states. We should be anarchists and not allow states to pass laws that restricts something that is legal.

The same logic could be applied to smoking.;)

But lightbulbs are legal in all states. We should be anarchists and not allow states to pass laws that restricts something that is legal.

I could not agree more. I switched to flourescent bulbs because I wanted to, I did not HAVE to swap those bulbs out.

Honestly, I see the slippery slope getting another coating of grease.

Tom

I swapped mine over little by little at the end of last year. Where I live we have the third-highest electric rates in the nation and they're going up again. However I don't think the govt should mandate things like light bulbs, gas mileage, or how much water your toilet can flush.

JohnnyO said:
However I don't think the govt should mandate things like light bulbs, gas mileage, or how much water your toilet can flush.

Why not?

In the absence of regulation to support conservation we will have excessive often wasteful usage that can lead to scarcity and/or rising prices. Ultimately, the price for clean water and energy will be so high it will be difficult if not impossible for many to purchase these things.

Do we really want a society where the rich use as much as they can because they afford it, drive up the prices, and leave the poor without?

Or do you see that an unlikely scenario, or that the "market" should decide?

TJR

I think that is unlikely and the market should decide. Whenever the govt gets involved in something, the price and cost always goes up (cars, healthcare, energy, pick one). Case in point, where I live there is plenty of water and less people, not more, every year. My Federally mandated 1.6 gallon toilet in PA does not save water so that people in TX or CA or FL have more. Pollution regs cost my area over 100,000 good-paying union jobs (that's for you Cayman :D ) in the 80's, breaking up families, lowering the standard of living, and drastically changing the way we live. Us folks who would happily trade a little air and water pollution for a good-paying job get one vote each too. Meantime production gets moved to other countries with little or no environmental and worker protection regulations, so the net global pollution is the same if not worse. I'd be perfectly happy if they'd sink an oil well in every square mile of Alaska and get gas back down to the $1 a gallon it should be.

We have converted about 95% of all the lights and lamps in our house to use florescent bulbs. The few remaining incandecent bulbs remain only because there are no direct replacements in a compact florescent bulbs that will fit. They even make some 3-way florescent bulbs that work great in lamps.

The do save a lot of energy and you don't have to change them except once every 3-5 years depending upon the amount of use.

The only drawback is that it may take some florescent bulbs about 30+ second to reach full brightness so they may not work well in places where you need bright light immediately.

Also, dome people can detect the flickering of florescent light, but I understand that it is caused by defective bulbs or defective ballasts. If the bulb is a good quality bulb, and the ballast is operating properly, there should be no detectable flicker.

My eyes do not detect the flicker unless it is very obvious, however I do know a few people who have complained about flickering florescent lights that I could not detect any flickering?

...Rich

JohnnyO, I agree that the most frightening words one can hear are:
I'm from the government and I am here to help.

And I agree that generally regulations like those you said are bad.

I think the govt should regulate consumption where needed. And the best way to do it is to just tax the crap out of excess consumption. The govt is good at that.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
The only drawback is that it may take some florescent bulbs about 30+ second to reach full brightness so they may not work well in places where you need bright light immediately.

I bought four flourescent ceiling fan bulbs (Phillips I think) for my kitchen because I do not like the look of the spiral-type bulbs when they're exposed. These ceiling fan bulbs took a looooong time to get to full brightness. So long that they were useless. I put the spiral-type in anyway and used the ceiling fan bulbs in my outdoor light fixtures.

Also in my church, where money is an issue, last year we replaced the bulbs in the old chandeliers with flourescents. Each of the 22 fixtures used three 150 watt and one 300 watt incandescent bulbs. :blink: We replaced them with 300 watt equivalent flourescents and are saving quite a bit of money. Commercial electric rates can be different and go by your peak load and not a flat rate.

The market at work. ;)

Latest posts