O.T.: California lawmaker wants to ban conventional light bulbs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have NO florescent lighting anywhere in my house! I can't stand 'em! And I've got several of 'em in a box that a tenant left in a rental. (No, I don't use them in my rentals either.)

Goofy wacko politicians in this state... No florescent builbs, no spanking your kids, low flow toilets, (Which I now have to flush 2-3 times. Tell me how THAT saves water!) "Global warming" rules... (Ever been to China? Their dirty air floats over here to the USA. duh!) It's outta control!

I WANT to like the florescent bulbs, but I don't think the technology is still there, yet. Despite the claims, I KNOW these florescent bulbs don't put out as much light, and they make my house seem very dim. They need to keep boosting the light output and making them small--I'm hoping they get there soon.

Also, I have a lot of three-way lamps in my house. We need three-way florecent bulbs for these.

I did use one in a light fixture over a 15' foyer. I got the brightest one I could find, but it only lasted six months, so I went back to a good ol' long-life 100 watt bulb and it has been two years and hasn't blown yet.

I have nearly 100% recessed lighting in my house. We began switching out standard 60 watt floodlight bulbs to the 15 watt compact flouresents about 6 months ago. Mainly because I was tired of spending $4 for lights that would last about 100 days in some cases. There are some rooms that have the lights on close to 14 hours a day (my 2 year old daughter's room is case in point... poor natural lighting and she's always in an out playing with toys, etc). The living room is much the same way.

Not really noticing a significant difference yet, but that's mainly because we had the capacitor go out on our heat pump compressor and we didn't know about it for nearly 2 months (nearly $200 power bills made us look).

I like the bulbs. For an extra $.75-1.00 each, I think they are worth it if they last just a year.

Latest posts