O2 Sensor & Engine Light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Noel 2

Reaction score
My check engine light went on so I took it to Autozone to hook to find out what the problem was and the OBDII system stated P0171 and P0174 (lean mixture). The guy told me it meant it was the O2 sensors. I have almost 90,000 miles on a 2001 so I figured it could be that so I bought them (about $50/piece) and it seemed to work for a couple days after which the light came back on. I took it back to Autozone and they said it was the same codes. I cannot believe the sensors went bad after just 3days so I just had them remove the code to make the light go off but again after a couple days the light is back on.

Is there something else that could be making the same issue pop up?

A vacuum leak will also cause a lean mixture error code. A number of members have reported vacuum leaks. The culprit is often a small plastic/rubber elbow hose that cracks that causes the same lean condition. Do a search on "Cracked" or "Split Elbow", or perhaps someone may post a pic of the hose.

...Rich

The elbow...the elbow..the elbow.....Advance Auto and Ford told me the same thing....pull the elbow and look at it...don't just check it over while it's still installed..pull it!! Easy, cheap fix!!! Good Luck!!

I'll third the elbow issue. Here is the picture of the specific elbow.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Okay, Help!!! Help out a clueless female here.

I am having the 0171 and 0174 errors as well.. I had this last year and replaced the MAF and it went away for a year. Before I spend a lot of money on o2 sensors, I thought I would check this hose. But I can't find it!!

I have an 01 job 1. What side of the engine is it on and what did you take off to expose this. If there is not one already there, I will put this up as a project when I figure it out, but right now I am at a complete loss.:wacko::blink::eek::p

'01 job 1s did not have this elbow hose, the suggestion has been to try and find where the leak is by using carb cleaner while the engine is running.

Spray a little around until you find a spot in which the engine seems to want to stall, the leak is probably there...

LOL... Of course.. that would make perfect sense. )(&*)(&)(*&.. This crazy truck.. I love it and hate it all at the same time.. Thanks a lot, I will try that... If that does not work, I guess I get the o2 sensor's:D.

We have not found the perfect solution for this issue on the 01 Job 1's.

Do a thorough vacuum leak check and please let us know what you find. I simply can not believe it is the O2 sensors. That would be way too coincidental in my opinion....

I ended up replacing the O2 sensor on the driver side... I will see if that fixes the problem... If so then I will let you guys know. So far the check engine light is staying off, but I want to give it a few days.