OBD2 CODE 171

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Hubbard

Reaction score
HEY GANG,

I have a 01' ST 4x4 w/109,000 miles, can drive long distances o.k. but if I go a short distance after my check engine light comes on. Iget code #171 bank 1 is lean. I can clear it but it will come up if I do the same kind of driving. If I go long distance and let it set for a wile I'm o.k. . Short distance seems too be the killer!!!?????

P0171 System to Lean (Bank 1)

The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors fuel delivery hardware. The test fails when the adaptive fuel tables reach a rich calibrated limit.

Possible causes For lean DTCs:

Fuel System.

contaminated fuel injectors.

Leaking fuel pressure regulator.

Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel.

Vapor recovery system.

Induction System:

Air leaks after the MAF.

Vacuum Leaks.

PCV system.

Improperly seated engine oil dipstick.

EGR System:

Leaking gasket.

Stuck EGR valve.

Leaking diaphragm or EVR.

Base Engine:

Oil overfill.

Cam timing.

Cylinder compression.

Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2Ss.

Here is the hose mentioned above...

(The crack happens on the bottom of the hose).

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

HEY GANG,

Thanks for all the info. Sorry it took so long to reply but I had some staples put in my haed and really couldn't do anything till they came out. All better now and ready to get my ST all better too.

I beleive it is a job 1. can't find any part #'s on the elbow, does anyone have it handy?

If you have a Job 1, I would put money on the table that it is your intake manifold gasket.

As usual, if you live close to Akron, Ohio, Please feel free to come to my place and I will help you fix it.

Tom

If you have the elbow in the picture then you have a Job 2. The Job 1 version does not have the elbow. Cayment is probably correct if you do have a Job 1 though...

When we had that problem, it would idle rough until the engine temperature was over 100 degrees. Once it hit 100 degrees, it was as smooth as glass...like nothing was wrong.

I got one code first. Bank 1 lean. If I kept driving it, I would get bank 1 and bank 2. If I cleared the codes, bank 1 was the first one to pop up again.

I knew it had that problem when I got it, that is why I got it cheap.

As I said before, it is not a hard job, but can look and appear overwhelming. It really isn't. Take your time and keep everything clean.

Tom