OD Light Blinking

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bret Pardew

Reaction score
My Overdrive light started to blink yesterday. I checked this site for past postings and found a wealth of information....most of it costly. Well, the Ford rep said it was a faulty/defective valve body that needed replacement = $700 P/L....

Has anyone heard of this issue or know what this valve is?

Thank you,

BP

Sounds about right. Some of the early tracs had valve body and gasket leakage. The valve body is the fliud circuits and solenoids that control the shifts.

Mine started flashing while driving to work last week. 2003 4x4 with 128,000kms.

I noticed that RPMs were high and it was not shifting into 4th gear on the highway.

Booked an appointment for the next day.

The light was off when I drove the car home later that day.

Ford diagnosed as valve body.

Dealer Ordered the part and will install it next week.

Cost for me is $100 due to extended warranty I purchased:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Consumer advocates and Consumer reports always state that extended warranties are a waste of money. However, after being at this forum for the past four years, if I buy another Ford or Mazda, I will buy the extended warranty for the longest period possible. I'm convinced it is well worth the money.

Nelson, I agree. I bought one on our 99 Sable, and the tranny went. Towed it in, they "fixed" it and my cost was 50.00. The total cost was more than I paid for the warranty.

I did not get one on the ST, but did get one on my late wife's focus since I would be at sea the majority of the time we owned the car and I did not want her to have to worry about it. We are still in the initial warranty, but now that my daughter is driving it, same deal applies, I want to know that if I am out of town, her cost will only be 50.00.

Latest posts