OD Light of death....?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Kirby

Reaction score
Me again,

So I finally experienced the flashing OD light I have read about so often. 2001 Job 2 with 106k carefully driven miles.

Quick question for all the other unfortunates that have lived through this......what was your final diagnosis and what did it end up costing ? Were there any codes ? Ford dealer or tranny shop ?

Any help would be mighty welcome

Thanks

Limey

So I finally experienced the flashing OD light I have read about so often. 2001 Job 2 with 106k carefully driven miles.

That's your problem, you should have driven the $h!t out of it like a crackhead chasing a rock glued to the trunk of a ferrari.

At least if it blew, you could have said: "It broke, but I drove the $h!t out of that mother f***er."

Are you experiencing any flare between the 2-3 tranny shifts? Is your transmission working ok, but you only have the blinking OD light? Before you drive it much further, get a diagnostic trouble code read so you know what the trouble is. You could also drop the pan and see if there is any debris in it, and then you will know if there is major damage or not, and go from there. I know from Ford master techs that the weak link in these transmissions is the torque converter, and their life is usually around 100,000 plus miles. The converter goes and takes out the rest of the transmission. Good luck..........with that many miles on your trans, I don't think a flush and upping the line pressure is going to do the job, but you never know..........Gary

Nobleman, now I knew there was a reason I drive like that. I just couldn't figure it out. You hit it right on the head!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Limey, to answer your question as best as I can, (knock on wood, I haven't had any rpoblems yet with the tranny), the "blinking OD light of death" could mean alot of things. It's purpose is just like the "engine light". It sees a problem and flashes just like the engine light would, and stores a code the service dept. can pull to help diagnose it. When was the last time you had the tranny flushed or the filter changed? It could be something as stupid as that, but it could also be worse. Is it "slipping" any? If you aren't noticing anything out of the normal, I would try changing the filter/fluid and get it flushed. If it is slipping or anything, take it in and get it hooked up to the computer. The fixes for these things are expensive but if you get it quick enough it will keep the costs minimal. If it has to be completely replaced, go rebuilt to keep the cost down. Tranny shop (a reliable one) will also be cheaper than the dealer. If it is out of warrenty, I would go the tranny shop way. That is just me though. You can go either way that makes you comfortable. Good luck and keep us posted.;)

My flashing O/D light was because of a 'flare' between 2nd & 3rd. Ended up having to replace the tranny with a Ford rebuilt one... $2300! And now, with 3k on that tranny, I've got the flashing O/D light again.

I had the 2-3 flare but not the flashing light. When I called and described the problem to different transmissions shops they were not sure without taking appart the transmission what the costs would be. Maybe a rebuild or something simple. I had than called 3 Ford dealers. Two looked up the TSB and quoted a price. $500. -$600 . I figured the ford dealer would have all the software and reasources if needed. What did make me mad was the estimate was to fix the simton but not correct the problem.To correct the problem,it would cost a additional $740.00 for a redesigned value body.