OD light on in the morning

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike M 4

Reaction score
Hey guys, two times now, when I get into the trac in the morning the OD light is on. The first time, I though I may have inadvertantly hit the button when turning off the radio. This morning, it was on again and I am sure I didn't push it by accident. The fix was to hit the button, the light goes off and off I go. I have not noticed any shifting problems other that it appears a little slugish when I shift from R to D. The trac is a 2002 4x4. 71 k on the odomoter. I had the trans fluid flushed at the dealership at around 50 K. What is your opinion? Ive got about another 8k before the extended warrenty expires.

thanks

I would get to Ford and let them plug in simply because you still have coverage.

Normally the light flashes when there is an issue and then goes to solid, (lit with no flashing).

It is suppose to default to not lit once the ignition is cycled off. Yours is acting in reverse. I would assume it is wired so that a relay keeps the O/D on and only is in the O/D off mode by a relay doing so once the button is pushed. If it is like I suggest above that would explain it going to default O/D on after the ignition is cycled off as the relay loses it's power.

However,,,,, For what ever reason Ford may have done it the other way. If so, a defective relay could be the issue as it is not powering on the O/D after an ignition cycles.

So, get it plugged into and see what they say is my advice.

I'm just a bit faster Fred. Maybe 3.5 words a minute... LOL

Actually. I took typing class in High School. I sucked rocks. In fact, it is the only class in my life time that I bombed. Although I did terribly I learned a tremendous amount in that class. I guess not enough for the instructor to pass me though....

I had a similar problem like that, possibly the same one and they had to reset the transmission computer or somethign like that, the shifting got really bad with my trac though so I'd take it in.

hi mike my trac is in the dealership as i type and they said that the reason the od lite is on is because the epc valve need tobe replaced. and they have to plug it into the computer and run test. so i'll know more tomorrow. and ill let you know more later when i get the trac back.