Odd hissing noise...found

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Bryant

Reaction score
I previously posted a problem describing the odd hissing noise on my 04 ST. The noise was mostly noticable on coasting throttle or when slowing down to stop.

I asked our fleet maintainence guy what it could be? He nailed it the first try. The hissing noise is made when the EVAP purge valve opens to pull vac on the fuel tank vent or some such thing. It's considered "normal", however like all of you, it was driving me mad. He also suggested a simple fix. Take a clean shop rag or rip the tail of a "T" shirt to provide a strip of cloth 6 inches wide and 2.5 ~ 3 feet in length.

Wrap the EVAP purge valve with the cloth snugly.(The purge valve is located on the driver side mounted on the inside fender wall in front of the fuse panel. It has two vac hoses attatched to it from the lower part of the valve and has a vented cage cap on the top) The cloth wrapping serves as a "muffler" for the audable hissing but still allows the valve to "breathe" as is required for proper operation.

I have mine wrapped up. It still works, but I can't hear it working. Thats all I asked for in the first place.

Awesome. I have this mystery noise on my 04. It used to wonder a lot about it but the consensus was it was normal so I just got used to it. Will try the wrap idea to confirm myself. Thanks for the info Steve.

Do a project on it. Get a nifty wrench next to your name...

Todd Z

I believe it should be secured with zip ties or something similar, since you want to make sure that cloth doesn't come loose and fall onto some critical or extremely hot engine part. If cloth were to fall on the catlytic converter it could cause a fire. It might even be better to use a non-flammable pipe insulation.

Is turning up the radio an option?

Project below. I am the master of the < 1 wrench difficulty projects.

Removing Hissing Noise, or any other for that matter:

1. Ensure radio is on and you have something other than Kenny G, New Kids on the Block, Village People, etc. playing.

2. Using thumb and forefinger, grab left knob of radio (see picture)

3. Turn clockwise until noise goes away

[Broken External Image]:

JT#14

Travis,

What if the radio looks like this? Which knob should I use? I am confused.

[Broken External Image]:

Tom

Latest posts