odometer does not turn

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walang Silbi

Reaction score
HI,

I bought my ST used. I discovered thet the odometer does not turn but the speedometer works? would anybody know what's wrong?

Thanks

I don't, but I would sure wonder how many miles are on that thing!!

In Oklahoma an odometer accuracy statement has to be signed.

It's a felony if you lie about it.

Which Odometer are you talking about? There are two. Try pushing the button all the way down.

I found on my wifes 2000 Explorer that if I do not push it all the way down, it will not register miles.

That is on the trip odometer, not the other one.

Tom

I guess I should has ascertained which odometer before calling the cops!

When they get there, Walang, just tell them it was a terrible mistake and I'm sorry. ;)

That almost sounds like someone knowingly disconnected the odometer.

I know in my truck, I'll occasionally have speedo flutter while parked, where I'll be reading speed on the speedo while not moving, and both the odometer and tripometer will both register miles; I think I've added around half a mile while not even moving.

Well, from where I come from its not a felony.

Its the one below. The odometer that counts (in my case should have been counting) the total mileage since day 1.

Thanks

Does your interior lights still work>?...

Reason I ask, it maybe a fuse. In my 1995 Ranger, if you took out the fuse, I think it was number 25, the odometer didn't count up anymore but the speedo worked fine. But you would also lose the interior and under hood lights. Not sure if the same on the ST, but they have the same dash and gauge cluster lay-out.

edited

Are you military and in the Philipines? did you buy it from a military person?

wait...you mean the mean the tripometer or odometer? one counts miledge on engine/vehicle (odometer) the other counts miles to and from some place (tripometer) and that can be reset.

Last edited by a moderator:
walangsilbi,

Did you try pushing the reset button a few times. Sometimes I found it sticks on the wifes Explorer.

I think that may be your issue.

Tom

@GM: yes I'm from the Philippines; No, I'm not in the military

@Caymen: Yes i tried pushing the trip meter several times and still does not turn.

@Beerdelivery: hmm interesting... I'll check this out and let you know.

Thanks to all.

ok walangsilbi, I was thinking if you were military or bought it from a military person you might have some recourse if it's broke..but then again like you said, it is not illegal over there.

I hope it is something simple and you find the fix! Good luck!

Well, so the only odometer that doesn't work is the trip odometer?

While it may be annoying, it isn't anything to worry about.

Tom

@Caymen: Both meters don't work!

@fast Eddie: I would not know if this info is stored in ECU. To anyone, is it?

let me pose another question: Is this a cable issue? Personaly I don't think so, otherwise the speedo needle will not even turn. i suspect a broken gear of something similar.

Any thoughts?

Thank to all.

The ST has no cable it is all electronic...

And it is weird with no CEL light on ???

Maybe a fuse is blown...

Todd Z

I would check the fuse panel, on the side of the dash between the driver side door. Thats where the fuse was for my Ranger. I won't admit to anything, but there is a fuse in there that controls the odo/trip and interior/hood lights. I believe it was number 25. There really isn't anything else it really could be. If it were anything else it would throw a CEL. With a fuse burnt out, it wouldn't throw a CEL. Please check it soon, so we can then say, welp... there was that idea out the wind-der.

Latest posts