OEM 6-disc CD/Mp3 changer?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a 2004 Sport Trac with the standard OEM single disc CD player. It's the type with the four small holes for removal. I want to replace it with another Ford OEM unit, and upgrade it to the 6-disc indash player, however I'd really like one that can also play mp3's burned on CD.

I see quite a few Pioneer units on eBay that look like they'd fit, but none of the ones I've seen indicate that they can play Mp3's. I see some newer looking units out there (maybe from 2005 models?) that do this, but they don't look like they'd fit my truck without some modifications. I'd prefer a more 'plug-&-play' solution.

Any suggestions? Does this item exist? Will the newer looking units fit without modification?

Thanks!

I wanted MP3 capabilities so I went to a local chain here and had a Panasonic installed for about $150 that sounds at least twice as good as the unit we both had. I just carry 2 CD's full of MP3's now and it also has a front plug to attach my iPod for some long trips.

I have no idea why most of my messages end up double posted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if ford makes a CD player for the Sport Trac that plays MP3's. The only Trac that I would think has the ability to play MP3's is the Pioneer edition because it has a completely different radio. However if you can not find one that plays MP3's and you want a factory 6 disc in-dash cd player I have one for sell e-mail me and let me know [email protected]. Good Luck

-Matt

Late model 04s and I believe all 05 Audiophile and Adrenalin equipped models have MP3 capability.

I have an 04 Audiophile system and although the in-dash 6 is great, it does not have MP3 capability. The same head unit in later models do have MP3 capability. So beware that older 'Audiophile' head units that can't play MP3s look the same as the newer ones that do.

Goodluck in your search, I'd like to hear what prices you come up with because this is something I'm also interested in doing. I want to stay OEM as far as head units are concerned.

I have already done this research, here is one of the best sites i found...

http://oem-auto-accessory.com/factory_ford_radios.html

I eventually went with an after-market mp3 cd player, sounds SO much better than OEM.

If you do buy an OEM radio carefull which one you buy. Most of the late model Ford radios out there have the T100 world plugs. The '04 and '05 Sport Tracs use the newer Ford Phase II plug on the back which has a different shape then the T100.

My 05 xlt has a single cd and plays mp3. It actually sounds pretty good, but willl be better with new speakers... :cool:

Why would anyone want 6-disc changer when you can get 128 songs on single mp3 cd??:huh:

Because it's what was available at the time CanTrac. Plus, I still buy CDs and play them in their entirety. Since I hardly convert an entire album to MP3s on my PC, I'd be missing out. Although I can't play MP3s, I still like to have 6 different CDs/albums to choose from. In other words, I'd be forced to swap CDs back and forth on a single CD head unit.

If you do buy an OEM radio carefull which one you buy. Most of the late model Ford radios out there have the T100 world plugs. The '04 and '05 Sport Tracs use the newer Ford Phase II plug on the back which has a different shape then the T100.

In addition, 04-05 radios use CAN-BUS technology, which is incompatable with older systems. Hence - the different plug arrangement.

Why would anyone want more than 128 songs? My old car (pre-Sport Trac) had a 12-disc JVC CD/Mp3 player. I could get about 10 albums on each disc, so that was like having 120 cd's with me! I just couldn't find a decent place to mount the thing in the ST, so I sold it with the car.

Thanks for all the response guys. I'm hoping for the day when I can get an indash 50gig hard drive with a USB plug on the front!