oem cruise control

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale Gibson

Reaction score
Anyone ever installed an oem cruise control unit on a st that didn't come with one? I just got mine, and id rather not put one of those cheap universal ones on it, and I'm wondering if its possible, as well as how easy/hard it would be, what id need, and about how much might I be able to get everything for from a jy.

Well you NEED a new master cylinder...... New steering wheel...... Maybe a clock spring assembly in the clumn.... Cable to the throttle body.... AND SOME St's don't have the right throttle body with the pin needed for the cable....

also need all the wiring and stuff if you don't have it already..

Todd Z

Dale, fill in your vehicle info. What year Trac did you just get?

Call your Ford dealer or get ahold of Roger here & ask about the retrofit kit. I just bought this one for a fellow Explorer owner who has a 2002 Sport w/o cruise. The retro kit supposedly has an inline fitting for the cancel switch so you don't have to replace the master cylinder. When this kit gets here I'm going to open it and snoop around in the box before sending it on to the new owner in Canada. I had never seen one of these kits until I was asked to purchase it for a Canadian buyer when the seller wouldn't ship it to him.

Last edited by a moderator:
yet another problem at low mileage.....oops.....delete now:postwhore:

Sorry I just bought my st, its a 2001 base 4x4. No cruise, no ohc, no tilt wheel, no lighted vanity, no rear seat vent/stereo contols, manual seats, cloth, no tow package, only option was the 4x4. Bidding has ended on the retrofit kit, does that have the steering wheel mounted conrols? And is it something I could do at home? Or should it be trusted to a dealer or shop?

The retrofit kit I linked to above is the one I bought & was for a 2002.

The link below is for your 2001 and is still active. The kits are obsolete so it's likely eBay is the only place you'll find one. Your dealer can run it on a locator to check availability but it will surely be much higher than the eBay auction.