OEM step bars vs. "accessory" step bars

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Crockett

Reaction score
I'm planning on ordering the step bars for my ST from Ford. I have an '05 XLT 4WD that didin't come with the appearance group. According to the '05 Explorer accessory catalogue, they offer bars which are the same type as the ones installed at the factory and "accessory" bars. The factory bars cost around $500 and the accessory bars are considerably less at about $320 or $340. My question is: Does anyone know what the difference is between the two types and has anyone had any problems with their "accessory" bars? I don't see the point in ordering the more expensive ones if they are basically the same item.

DD

As I recall the factory bars are gray and tuck closer to the body, the accessory bars are black (sorta like the Ranger bars) and hang lower.

I purposely got a Trac without step bars because my Ranger did have them and mostly they were good for getting my pants dirty in the winter. But I'm pretty tall and don't need them to get in, although the wife bitches about it sometimes.

The factory step bars are painted a flat greay color to match the grey cladding on the Sport Trac. The true factory step bars have a reputation for a very poor paint job on them. The paint is very thin and the bars tend to pick up a lot of surface rust. I would recommend repainting the factory step bars ASAP.

I had my bars painted to match the body color and I sold them over 2.5 years later and they still looked like the day they were painted.

...Rich

Latest posts