off topic question..?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you want to just copy a DVD ???

OR do you want to back up your computer on to DVDS???

OR something else??

Todd Z

making backups of your dvd's is illegal .So using a program like DVDSHRINK is not permitted;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I make copies of my dvd's and ps2 games. As long as they don't leave my house I don't really care if it's legal or not. I don't really want to post the software program here, and I'm not sure if it's even available anymore. I believe the software was bought out and removed from the internet. But if you search, I'll bet you can still find it. And it's FREE!

I use DVDFAB decryptor (Platinum). It's on sale right now on thier site for $50. The Platinum Version ($50) will do PSP and such, and the Gold will just do DVD's. You will still need the likes of DVD Shrink if you want the whole disk to fit, but DVDFAB will also let you just do the movie part of the DVD.;)

JD, luckily i read your post. I forgot it was Platinum and Gold.:wacko:

Making one personal backup copy of any copyrighted work is legal as long as you own the original. The latest encryption methods of dvd's has caused all my backup programs to fail.

If you have kids like mine, you'll be sol if you don't have a copy. My kids have portable dvd players they take traveling and camping. You can imagine the abuse the discs are subjected to. I have never encountered a dvd or game I couldn't copy.

Not illegal to backup stuff that you own.

I use DVDFab Platinum and it works great, even supports ripping dvds to other formats such as psp or ipod..

Don't go copy music CD that you own to your computer because it might just be illegal. I think this is the stupidiest thing I have heard all year.

Me said:
Making one personal backup copy of any copyrighted work is legal as long as you own the original.

Oh, how I wish that were true.

Unfortunately most DVDs are copy protected with CSS encryption. Several years ago someone hacked that encryption with a very simple algorithm (so simple the code for it fit on a popular geek t-shirt), and when that hack was circulated onto the Internet countless DVD copying programs (shrinkwrapped, shareware and freeware) sprang up. The hack program/code is known as "DeCSS" (de as in decode).

Now, as I said, I wish it were true the making a personal backup of media and other copyrighted materials was legal. However, the "Digital Millenium Copyright Act" made it illegal to circumvent encryption and other security measures when making digital copies.

So, the fact that in order to copy most DVDs (as most are encrypted) you have to use a piece of software that breaks the DMCA law, clearly making a copy of a DVD for personal use cannot be legal by the letter of the law.

HOWEVER, I personally think this aspect of the DMCA is simply wrong, because it has, without such an intention, "undone" various copyright laws and taken away our rights as consumers to protect the materials we have bought and paid for.

So, I say, make your backups.

However, please do so with the correct understanding of the laws that apply.

TJR

HOWEVER, I personally think this aspect of the DMCA is simply wrong, because it has, without such an intention, "undone" various copyright laws and taken away our rights as consumers to protect the materials we have bought and paid for.
I think if the law is allowed to stay like this, when you scratch a CD/DVD, you should be able to exchange it for free.

as well as provide Mp3.'s to play on our players. who want's to go running with a CD player? Theere are numerous stero's with MP3 player inpit jacks in them. what is the intentionn of them? Artists, see any go broke lately?

To expand on what TJR was saying, even copying a DVD to your iPod is technically illegal (yet there are many lefitimate programs for sale that do it). Iit is also interesting to note that while it is technically illegal to copy a DVD, because you are getting past the encryption, it is NOT illegal to copy CD's. This is because CD's don't use an encryption (at least most don't). Now you can only use the copied CD's for personal use of course.

The media companies aren't really enforcing that part of the law, though. If you are distributing the copies, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

This page may help. I just bought the AVEX converter that is shown on there.

Rocks

DVDFAB decrypter and DVDShrink is the only thing you need and it's free on the net. I back up my sons DVD's and my DVD. The way I see it the life expectency isn't that long on the DVD's when you have 3 children in the house and if I'm going to pay 20.00 on the average and I have well over 400 dvd's I'm going to copy my dvd's to keep the life of it going. Weather it's legal or illigal is not my problem. I concider it an investment on money that I have spent.

Latest posts