Off topic - Ruby Tuesday

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anupam Routh

Reaction score
Greetings! This is completely off topic. I am just curious. There is a restaurant chain called Ruby Tuesday. Does any one know how that name came about? With thanks.

Origins in Knoxville

That original Knoxville location had its beginnings in a Hollywood-like deathbed scene. In 1972 Samuel E. (Sandy) Beall was a 22-year-old University of Tennessee, Knoxville, student majoring in finance, who on the side helped William Kholmia manage a group of Pizza Hut restaurants. Kholmia suffered a massive heart attack that year. On his deathbed, Kholmia, wanting his protegé to be his own boss, offered Beall $10,000 to open a restaurant.

Beall accepted the offer, and together with four of his college buddies scraped together another $10,000 to open the first Ruby Tuesday, which was located near the university campus in Knoxville. Beall named the restaurant after the then ubiquitous Rolling Stones' song "Ruby Tuesday," which he kept hearing on the jukebox. The restaurant itself, which was a converted old house, featured barn wood walls, fake Tiffany lamps over the tables, and a $1.45 hamburger served on an English muffin. Beall also secured the first liquor-by-drink license in Knoxville, which enhanced the restaurant's popularity with students. Ruby Tuesday's subsequent success made Beall too busy for school, so he dropped out to devote himself full-time to his venture.

I'm pretty sure the Stones did that song, but the Beatles did have a song called Good Day Sunshine. 'Course I was just a child then.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Britt, I beleive that you were right the first time. The name of the Beatles song is "Good-Bye Ruby Tuesday".

e62b9610dcdba81afa5229c80ed6b0c8.jpg