Oh No, flashing OD light!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor CAD

Reaction score
No other symptoms, driving around 45 mph or slower, no slipping that I could feel, had only been driving about 10 minutes.

I was able to push the O/D off button and it worked.

I pulled into my driveway and turned it off. Turned it back on and the light was not flashing.

How long until a self-destruct?

I have an extended warranty (good thing).

What should I have the shop do?

Going to check the fluid now, but I doubt that is the problem.

Only 6 months of ownership, its a 2003.

I think now that the light is off the dealer will NOT be able to get the code, they will say nothing is wrong..

I don't think the tranny stores "soft" codes

Get it looked at ASAP

Todd Z

if you feel like the truck is worth the expense, have it repaired by a good transmission shop, depending on the miles, I have an 02 w/ 88K, and waiting on the mechanic to return it to me. hopefully tonight, but i've heard that before. Mine had the seals to blow around the main valve body, caused by heat and probably not having the fluid changed (i'm the 3rd owner of mine) on a regualr basis. I had the tranny flushed about 4 months ago, which could have caused some build up to come loose, clog the tranny cooler or along this line. My mechanic said to change the filter at 30K, then every other year. Complete flushes on the yrs you don't change the filter and to make sure the tranny cooler is not stopped up and working as well. good luck expect about $1000 or more depending on what they find and have to do.

use the extended warranty and get it fixed. . i just had mine done (03' w/ 43k) it was under extended warranty

mine did the same thing as your except i could feel the slip between 2 and 3.. when the tow truck picked it up nothing was flashing

they first replaced the valvebody $600

when that did not fix all the codes / problems they dropped the trans and did a $3,200 rebuild.

took about 2 weeks but it is as good as new now.