Oil Change Frequency

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
essentially I guess that's what I'm starting to question myself (just now, thinking aloud on this board I guess). I've always been told, recommended, etc. that synthetic was better for the vehicle. But for some reason I keep running regular in the wife's car (I guess because it's so clean all the time). So yeah, one would think they would recommend it in the owner's manual if it really was better. I'm starting to wonder if just running regular and changing it more frequently would be the way to go. It would also be less expensive that's for sure!

Randy,

Back to your question about high miles... My best friend has a 96 ranger 4x4 with the same 4.0 V6 as us, has ran nothing but Castrol 20/50, 3-5,000 mile change intervals, has over 220,000 miles on it and no leaks or problems. On his third manual tranny (First was replaced, second was rebuilt)...but no engine issues. Still solid, strong. When you sit at a light you can't even hear the thing idling... pretty cool. I wouldn't worry about high miles with this engine, it's the tranny that's questionable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryan: The 4.0L engine in the Ranger is not the same as the Trac. The 4.0L in the Ranger is a OHV engine with 160hp, not a SOHC engine 205hp like the Trac.

I know, I've owned both.

By the end of next week, i will hit 100k...I changed ever 2500-3500 depending. no problems with the engine, as ryan y said you should be more worried about the tranny with high miles...a lot of trac trannys dont make it much higher than 100k...im hopin mine does..

Oh yeah! Forgot about that Darin, thanks for reminding me. You get what I'm trying to say though, I think our engine is strong and will last. And judging on the posts about the xcal2 fixing some auto tranny issues, sounds like a good investment

Ryan-

The engine does matter, yes. Modern engines have much higher tolerances, materials are also better, so there is less oil burn-off. Different manufacturers put engines together differently and have different tolerances and different QC standards. Not saying anything more then there are differences. Even then, two engines rolling off the line back-to-back will have different quirks and habits from each other.

I know the oil that I drain from the crankcase, even at 7500 miles, is still plenty viscous, no sludge, clumps, or particles. However, my engine is getting on up there in miles and I notice a bigger difference in engine smoothess after changing the oil now. May be time for some MMMO for good measure.

Oh, and TJR, I'll take empirical over hypothetical anyday, lol.

Marvel Magic Mystery Oil.

Even the best engines fail though, of course, normally the engines that a built to the highest standards with the utmost care go through the harshest conditions, ie. race engines. Kinda ironic.

3000 to 5000 miles on the oil and filter, using whatever 5w-30 oil is on sale and a Purolator filter. I try to be aware when I am towing frequently and change it a bit sooner.

25K miles for tranny service at the dealer.

So far, Trac is happy at 56K miles.

I run 10-30. I know, I know. The manual says 5-30 but thats a generic weight for everyone from Alaska to down here on the Gulf Coast. There is simply no reason to have 5-30 in an area that rarely sees temps below 40. I have been changing mine every 3-4K but just went to Royal Purple and plan to leave it in for at least 7K. Can't understand why anyone would change synthetic before then. Otherwise why not just use dyno? Everything I have read says that the only real advantage of synthetics over a top grade dyno is they last longer.

My 2003 Mercedes has free factory service til 50,000 mi or 4 years. They schedule oil changes with Mobile 1 every 10,000 mi. I questioned if that wasn't too many miles between changes and in order to keep the warranty in effect you need to use a certified mechanic and keep records or you could void your warranty. The car has been great the first 16000 miles with no issues. I'm only keeping til the free service is up (if that long). I'm dying for another Sport Trac or Rubicon. My mercedes dealership charges $120.00 for an oil change, so I guess it'll be every 10,000 miles for me.:wub:

Every 5,000

10W30 (edit: or was it 5W30?) Mobil1 Synthetic

K&N Filter

Last edited by a moderator:
Any high-quality dino oil or synthetic blend will last 5000 miles no problem. Full syn, 5000 and up. If you're worried you can get a used oil analysis for $20 to be sure. Can't wait to see what comes back from my dad's '04 Cadillac, we ran Mobil 1 down to 4% on the Oil Life Monitor and 11,200 miles. Bwwwaaaahaaaahaaaa! :lol: Betcha the report looks good too.

My own vehicles I run either Mobil 1 or if money is tight, Motorcraft blend. I've gotten UOA's on both at 5000 miles and they looked fine and could've gone longer.

I just wish more stores would carry 5w-20 Mobil 1 for my Escape. That viscosity of oil is hard to find in synthetic for some reason. Dunno why, since most Fords since 2002 and all Hondas use it.

Latest posts