oil change message

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not own a Trac with an oil change light, but I think it would be safe to say the instructions are in the owners manual.

Tom

It is in the manual but you have to be careful to read instuctions for the display because

there is also instructions for the non display. They are right together. It will automatically

come on ever six months unless it has been reset.

Get to the Set Menu display and hold the button down. Then you can scroll through by pushing the button, when you get to Oil Life just hold it in for a few seconds. If you let it go to the Default it will be 7500 miles, push it again quickly and it will go to 80%, then 60%, etc. for less miles on the oil before the reminder comes on. That's as I recall. I've only done it once. Better instructions are in the owner's manual.

Maybe Iam just an old grouch,:lol:. It always bewilders me when people wont read the owners manual first.;) I do realize that some got their trac used with no manual. Probably being an instrument tech., I got used to reading tech manuals. Sorry for any offense..:D

JohnnyO - the 7,500 mile oil change option is for the 08 ST's only. The 07's have a 100% max of 5,000 miles.

The process you write is correct though.

maybe it's low...check it and add just enough maybe that will make the light go away until you can get it in to change the oil.

or if you change the oil and it's still on.. you would then probably want to take it to the dealer to get the oil sensor looked at.

My oil change reset button simply would not work for the 1st 10 times I tried to reset it. Then one day it magically worked and reset. I did read the manual too, it just didn't seem to want to listen at first I guess...LOL.

Stupid dealer broke off the end of my pushbutton when they took the dash apart. Now I have to get a pen or something to depress the button that is recessed below the dash lens.

Press your SETUP button, then it will say something like, press RESET button for system check. After you press RESET, it goes thru a series of system checks, and I think it is the second one that states "engine oil life" at XX%. It will also say, press RESET if new oil. Press the RESET buttonn, and it will go back to 100%.

I had to do this a couple of weeks ago when I my Trac was at the dealer for it's checkup. It is usually reset for me, but not this last time . . .

edit: I'm not sure about turning the reminder on or off -- I don't think there is an on/off feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have followed the proper steps, but it just want reset. I have done this before, but it's not working this time. BTW, I have read the manual, but what I have read does not reset it. It's a pain in the butt,because I'm smart enough to know to change my oil before 5,000 miles. I don't need a message to remember.... Thanks for all the help, maybe it will go away, or I'll just learn to enjoy lookin at it

That's what I was saying about mine. I have an '07 and mine simply would not reset. I kept trying everyday, then one day it magically reset when I tried. Keep trying, it will work eventually.

Great that we have to say things like that about a new car huh?

Do you guys hold the button down on reset for a long time? I noticed that on my '08, I had to hold it down a long time, maybe 30 seconds or so.

When I left work yesterday, I did the 'system check'. It does say 'hold reset if new'. When I did mine a couple of weeks ago, I just held the RESET button for maybe a few seconds at the most . . .

Yeah the instructions on how to reset are VERY simple, just seems a few of us are having a hard time getting the system to accept the reset value.

Latest posts