Oil Change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Howard

Reaction score
While waiting for warranty work on my Trac I was reading the manuals that came with my 2005 and was surprised to see that Ford recommends a 5000 mile oil change interval. I always service at 3000. I have 25,000 miles now and Ford recommends 30,000 miles service on the air filter. What do you guys do, change or replace? How often do you change oil?

Thanks for any comments.

Also, any tricks on removing the Tonneau cover? It is supposed to weigh 70 lbs, but it sure feels heaver than that.

Bowflex. :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

My ST doesn't have a tonneau, so I can't help you there.

Change oil at 5K intervals using Motorcraft blend. Air filter annually. Fuel filter at 30K intervals. Trans flush at 30K intervals. Modern engines and oils can easily go 5K before needing change.

The cover is not too bad to do by your self, much easier with two though.

I unlatch the side near the cab, open it a bit and put a small board there or flip the latch so that it can not latch. Then go to the back and unlock it and step onto the tail gate and flip the back side onto the front. Then unspring the hinge in the middle and flip the spring to the top of the bed rail. Now it is just sitting there.

I stand at the hinge, grab the hinge side as well as the bottom of the from side and flip it up to the top of my head. Then hop off the gate with it in my hand.

I have no trouble at all removing and replacing the tonneau. I park on an incline (our driveway is just that) so that the tailgate is lower to the ground and I can step up on it. With the tonneau folded I lift it with one arm, underhand grip with cover laying on inside of forearm up to the elbow and balance it against my shoulder. Second hand is basically balancing the top side with little to no effort. If you ever moved home doors you will know what I'm talking about. I always use gloves.

Lower tailgate, unlock cab end of cover and fold back to rear, undo center latches and secure, unlock back of cover and pull entire cover back two inches so it is overhanging tailgate area, nail gas pedal.

1st Oil change was at 5K, 2nd was 10K with Royal Purple, 3rd was 20K. Put cone filter on the day I bought the ST, 17 March 04, never cleaned it.

EPC solenoids replaced before 2nd oil change and again at 25K. Replaced ST at 26K.

grump

I change mine Every 3K regardless of oil type ( I use royal purple)

Fuel every 30K

Air filter if stock every 20-30.

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
I just roll mine up.

Dittos. :cool:

3000 mile changes certainly won't hurt, but 5000 is fine. In my case I've found that 30,000 for the air filter is about right, but that's something you can just look at and see if it's dirty.

Latest posts