oil change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douglas brandin 2

Reaction score
Just read the thread about the "3000 mile oil-change myth." On that subject, does anyone know how Motorcraft Synthetic Blend stacks up against the other synthetics? And who makes it?

If it says "Synthetic Blend", then it's not a true synthetic. It's a blend of dino and synthetic oils. A true synthetic is better.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reviews and used oil analysis (UOA) posted at www.bobistheoilguy.com show that Motorcraft stacks up very well against synthetics for a normal change interval. In my wife's car there was no difference on a 5000 mile interval between Motorcraft and Mobil 1, so I spend half and use Motorcraft. Here is a link to one of my UOA's, or you can search the forum.

I dont have my result sheets anymore. Been awhile since I ran any. I have always had good results for years in my fords. Using motorcraft syn blend or valvoline syn blend at 5k to 6K changes, using motorcraft filters. The only car I ever chose to run full syn in was my '94 mustang that I built to 400RWHP.

I'm doing a few early oil changes on my '08 but it says you can run the oil for 7500 miles. I think once I hit 15k I'll put full syn in it (oh wait, I have full syn in it now...:lol:) with a Mobil 1 or K&N filter, run it 7500 and get a UOA and see what it says.

I know there are some Royal Purple fans here, I've not tried it yet. I will say that I've gotten better UOA's with Pennzoil Platinum than Mobil 1. The 4.0 SOHC tends to show high iron ppm on UOA's and Mobil 1 tends to show higher iron on most all engines. I'm running Valvoline Synpower right now.

I had heard that Ford changed their oci to 7500 miles for the 08 model year. Does this hold true for the 07 model year also? I've been running M1 in my 07 4.6 since new, would like to push it out 7500 / 6 months.

Been doing 12000 / 6 month oci's on my 03 Ranger with M1. Just turned 124000 today, it'll make double that easily.

Does this hold true for the 07 model year also?

No.

I've been running M1 in my 07 4.6 since new, would like to push it out 7500 / 6 months.

The above being said, the factory OCI is based on conventional or synthetic blend oil. Mobil 1 should be fine for 7500 (psst...Pennzoil Platinum is better and costs less) but you can get a Used Oil Analysis just to be sure. Linky-linky-----V

I aim for 5k oil change intervals, because it's easy to remember when to change the oil (145k,150k, 155k, etc.), but I like the fact that I can let it slide a bit if things are too busy at the right moment. When you drive almost 150 miles per day, a one week slip is an extra 750 miles. Two weeks is 1500 miles. Hopefully I can get to it fast enough to prevent a three week (2250 mile) slip!

I aim for yearly oil changes.

dreman, as much as you drive, invest in a good synthetic oil and change every 25,000 miles.

Tom

My company pays for one standard oil change per month. Since I change my own and use reasonably priced synthetic oil, they haven't said anything about using synthetic. I often wind up with an extra oil change or two in the garage at the end of the year.

And, oddly enough, my wife's new Dodge uses the exact same oil filter the Trac does! The oil is different, though. They require 5w20, although it's probably just for mileage sake!

Sounds like the start of a religious war.

Maybe. :lol: I don't get into arguments about oil. I will tell people to run whatever they want for as long as they want, get UOA's, and let the lab results tell the tale. Don't believe the hype, marketing, and old wive's tales.

If you filled your crankcase with peanut butter, ran the 24 Hours Of LeMans, and got a good UOA, more power to you.

Alls I'm saying is that me and pretty much everybody else at www.bobistheoilguy.com who has gotten UOA's of both Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum had better results with the Pennzoil (not that Mobil 1 was bad).

I will say that once in my old '05 Trac I ran Mobil 1 Truck & SUV oil for 5000 miles and the UOA came back utterly awful. Wear metals were through the roof and Blackstone recommended I only run it for 3000 miles in the future :eek: , but I already had Pennzoil Platinum in there to compare.

Latest posts