Oil Filter Questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris G

Reaction score
So I installed my first Mobil 1 Oil filter about 4 months ago/5k miles. I was using Motorcraft and replacing the filter every 5k and full oil swap at 10k (mobil 1 syn).

The Mobil 1 filter is supposed to be extended performance... so can I get to 10k on it? Or should I go ahead and swap it out like i have every other Motorcraft filter?

Thanks guys!

I run full syn with k&n filter. I do a filter swap and 1qt top off at 5 to 6 k. Full change at 10 to 12k.

Mobil 1 and K&N oil filters have a synthetic filter element, meaning that they have uniform porosity. Most other filters use paper elements and their porosity is not uniform because, well, that's the nature of paper. There will be big holes and small holes in the filter element. A synthetic element would be stronger as well. Mobil 1 or other quality synthetics (and the filter) will probably be good for 10k. I would change it at 7500 the first time and get a used oil analysis just to be safe. Come to think, that IS what I'm doing right now. :haveabeer:

I use Mobil 1 EP in the recommended viscosity and Mobil 1 filers on everything in my house (car, truck, motorcycle, lawn tractor, etc.). I change the car and truck's oil and filters two times a year whether they need it or not and change the lawnmower and motorcycle at the beginning of the season whether they need it or not. Works fine for me. This works out to about 6,000 miles per change on the truck, and about 15,000 miles per change on the car. Probably about 30 hrs on the lawn tractor and 2,000 miles on the motorcycle.

I'm not sure why all the fuss. Why not just run a good grade of dino oil and change every 3,000 miles. No worry about how long you can go without damage, no sending oil off for analysis, no changing just the filter and topping off. I do my own changes and it costs about $16 to do it (using Quaker State oil and Motorcraft filter from wallyworld).

:banghead:

The Mobile 1 element is designed to stand up to longer replacement intervals submerged in oil vs paper elements. Good for at least one year. That is the point of extended drain intervals.

I just use a Motorcraft filter and run 5w20 for 9 months (all spring, winter and fall long), and do my summer towing change to 15w40 for jet ski towing (3 months).

No oil needs to be changed at 3,000 miles unless you are towing in hot and dirty conditions.

3K oil changes are a waste of money, with todays motors. Even with Dino.

Unless you have severe service....

to rmcalis,

Don't bitch about high gas prices, you are wasting oil that could be turned into gasoline.

Hell, every manufacturer recommends 5k oil changes now.

No oil needs to be changed at 3,000 miles unless you are towing in hot and dirty conditions.
Or driving like you stole it, which I often do. I'm still bedazzled by the fact that my ST can accelerate like a rocket in snow.

It seems that everybody who makes money on oil changes is promoting 3000 mile oil changes as if it was right for everyone. Kinda makes me mad.

On the bright side, used oil does get recycled or burned as fuel. So the impact on crude oil imports is small. Just make sure that the oil that you're buying on sale isn't "Quacker State", "Valvolite" or some other off-brand. :grin:

buying on sale isn't "Quacker State", "Valvolite" or some other off-brand

Do you mean valvoline. If so I beg to differ. In many years past I ran valvoline dino and their syn blend. In many of my performance cars and others. 5k changes never had an oil related problem. Never bought cut rate discount filters though.

Qauker state not familiar with. A friend is though. It is all he ever used in his trucks towing boats.

Quaker State got a bad rap about 25 years ago because a bunch of it was made with a faulty cold weather additive that kept it thick when the weather got cold. I don't know if any engines were damaged, there was a recall, but peoples' engines would rap until the oil warmed up...including mine, as I had a batch of the faulty stuff in my car at the time. A few years ago Pennzoil bought Quaker State and I'm told that it's the same oil as Pennzoil now.

Buy whatever oil you want and get a used oil analysis occasionally. It's the only way to know for sure.

Guys...IT'S A JOKE...A JOKE!

IIRC the names came from those fake "hide your dope" cans that looked real until you noticed the misspelled brand name. Around that time liquor stores sold vinyl beer can covers that made them look like soda, with names like "Caco-Calo" and "Dr. Pecker".

Latest posts