Oil Filter??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Royal purple is good too...

I run Mobil 1 synthetic and Motorcraft filters...

Todd Z

I third the Mobil1 Synthetic. As for filters--anything but Purolator or Fram. I usually use K&N, Mobil1, Bosch, or Motorcraft. I seem to remember a link to a study some group did on oil filters a while back. Thier outcome : Mopar filters did the best.

I have been a ford man most of my life. " Motorcraft " filters have never failed me or ruined an engine..Niether has semi-syn oil at 5k oil changes..at half the price..dont waste your money on syn, unless you plan on racing or extreme duty...JMHO.

I figure...it's only on for 3000 miles, so i get whatever filter I get...usually a cheapo from Wal-Mart. Iv'e gotten well over 100,000 miles on my last four vehicles that way, so I can't see spending $20 for an oil filter.

Been using cheapest oil and filter for over 40 years of driving.

From using recycled oil in the early 60 in junkers bough tfor $50 to using store brand oil today.

Never had a problem. All the vehicles I bought new were traded at around 150,000 and still no problems. I change oil and filter every 3,000 miles.

A1cntrler, why that hate for Purolator and Fram? I've used Purolator filters often and Fram filters occasionally (based on what's on sale at the time) and I've never had a problem attributed to dirty oil, excessive wear, etc.

Is there really much of a difference between them? Anyone?

If your changing your oil every 3000 miles it does not matter what filter you get or what oil you use. You'll get the same results with your $10 oil change as folks are with their $30 change. If you want to extend your oil change to 7k or 8k by going to synthetic then buy a good filter.

The Marketing that Oil Companys like Mobil does is great. Fact remains that if Ford could get 1/2 MPG better gas milage ond spend $30.00 on oil they would have done that years ago. It all really comes down to personal choice !

Best filters: Mobil 1 and K&N.

Best filter for the money: Motorcraft. NAPA Gold and Purolator PureONE are good too.

Normally I use Motorcraft filters and Mobil 1 but right now I'm trying Pennzoil Platinum synthetic ($5 less a jug at Wal-Mart) and will get a used oil analysis to see how that compares with Mobil 1.

If you look at the UOA's a www.bobistheoilguy.com you will see that the 4.0 SOHC throws off a lot of iron. So far I got my lowest iron readings with Mobil 1 5w-30. M1 0w-30 I used in the winter was actually worse.

Like TomT said, if you change the oil every 3000 (and I'd say up to 5000), it doesn't matter much what oil you use.

Being picky, I usually use Mobil 1 changed every 5000.

If you really want to know, get some UOA's. Anything else is just speculation.

JohnnyO. You have used Blackstone labs and are happy with them? I started using Royal Purple a little over a year ago and I'm comfortable at leaving it in for 7k but would like to have it analyzed to determine if I can leave it in longer. I know guys at work with diesel engines that are running up to 15k between changes with RP. Of course their engines hold like 12 quarts. That can get real expensive at $3.25 a quart.

I just started using Blackstone last oil change, and I plan to use them every change from now on. Here's a link to my most recent report. So you can see what they tell you. Basically, after 73k, my ST is not burning any oil, and all contaminent levels are below normal reading.

Jeff C....

You ADDED 4.7 quarts over 4100 miles??? That's Cadillac Northstar territory. :lol: You're either burning a ton of oil or you gave Blackstone the wrong info. Make-up oil is how much you added over the interval, not the capacity.

Latest posts