oil filter?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kil roy

Reaction score
i went to purchase a oil and filter last night so i can do my first oil change

on my recently acquired 01 sport trac although they changed it at the dealer

i only use castrol syntech and want to get this one switched over as soon as

possible.

when i went to look up the filter it came up with 2 numbers. PH2 and PH8A

if i remember right.

one is for use with oil cooler equipped vehicles and one without

so how do i know which one i have? where would the cooler be located?

thanks in advance

I've got an '01 and I had to get the PH8A. Hope this helps. Smart move coverting over to synthetic. My '01 ran a lot better and it got rid of a light ticking I heard when I changed it over. I'm gonna do the rear fluids soon. Haven't figured out how to yet, but in due time....

PH2 is the Fram replacement for a Motorcraft FL1A, a PH8A is a Motorcraft 820S. Either way, use a Motorcraft and not a Fram, they're not very good. Early Tracs sometimes used an FL1A, later ones used an FL820S. Check the manual if you have one or see what's on it now. I could be wrong but I'm not aware of any Tracs that came with an oil cooler.

Using a Fram filter with Castrol Syntec is kind of like dressing Pamela Anderson in a flannel bathrobe and fuzzy bunny slippers. Go with a Motorcraft or NAPA Gold.

Last edited by a moderator:
JohnnyO

i have used the Fram filters for 26 years and never had a problem "YET"

i know there was a problem with a batch quite some time ago but that

got resolved.

either way though i still need to know where the oil cooler would be located

so i know which filter i need.

the PH2 (model with oil cooler) is small compared to the PH8A. i suppose

they are the same thread and i could use the larger filter but i would have to add

some extra oil to account for the added capacity of the larger filter but i would

rather be safe and get the right filter for my truck.

thanks again

The main problem with Frams is the cardboard endcaps that are glued to the filter element and the actual square inches of filter media area is less than any other filter.

A Fram won't necessarily blow up your engine but the simple fact is that there are better quality filters available for the same money or less.

If you must get a Fram, then step up to a Tough Guard.

The Autolite filters showing up at Wal-Mart are just relabeled Frams. Fram and Autolite are parts of the same company.

the threads on them are not the same the ph2 or FL-820s is used on 2001 job 2 tracs and has a larger diameter hole where it screws on. the FL-1A, PH8A is used on 01 job 1 tracs. Open your hood if your oil filler cap is on the passenger side of the engine you have a job 2 and need a FL-820 if its on the drivers side you need a FL-1

The fl1/8A is a 3/4 thread and the other is a 19MM thread...

The long one is the FL1/8a and the short one is the 820...

Todd Z

thats the answer i have been waiting for.

when they list the 2 filters they dont say why there are 2

different filters,mine is definitely a job 2 so now i know for sure what

oil filter i need.

thanks again i really appreciate it