Oil in Air manifold

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan O

1st Gen Owner
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
I have Nitto Terra Grapplers on my 03 4WD ST. They are 285 65 18's. Does anyone have knowledge of what the tire pressure should be? The sidewall only says max load at 50PSI. I have 45 in the tires now?

Second question is regarding oil. I took of my TB to install a modified one. I looked down the throat of the air intake toward the engine to see if it needed cleaning. I see there is a small pool of oil at the very lowest point. Is this normal or should I remove it before installing the new TB?

Any thoughts,

Dan O.

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/libraryselect.asp?folder=Dirt Scramblin'

Sounds like oil from your pvc hose. They do this for emissions reasons- any air vented from the crankcase is sent in to get burned in the cylinders. Oil belongs under the cylinders, not over the cylinders in the combustion chamber, so I don't necessary like the idea of it..

There are catch cans that will extract the oil before it gets to the intake.

Thanks underdog!! Back to the TB installation.

Dan O.

Underdog, Do you have a part no. & pic of the catch can for extracting the oil from the PVC line? Where can I get one? Thanks. :D

That's why I am a Big proponent of using either an Airaid air filter or an AEM air filter (uses no oil); because I was told by a Ford electrical tech. that the oiled filters will bleed through onto the MAFS, and now I can see that it has additional consequences. Also, I was told by a guy in a local truck shop that K&N's quality has gone down over the past five years - can't confirm that though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The oil he was talking about did not come from an aftermarket air filter. It came from the PCV valve (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) and is motor oil. There is a hose that attaches to the intake tube that comes off of the valve cover. Instead of venting to the outside (as it should) for emissions purposes, the air that is ventilated must go back into the combustion chamber to be burned, thereby reducing the amount of bad stuff going into the air.. The PCV hols hooks in after the MAF I believe therefore no oil gets onto the MAF.

A1, Very aware of that. I have all the part to the Breather Tube project, but if there is a better way to do it and still keep Calif. legal I want to know about it. I threw in the bit about the oil from the air filter because I feel that keeping any oil out is a good thing. :D

the catch cans are all over e-bay. For that matter, I think you can put an air/water seperator made for an air compressor in line of you hose. Let me see what i can find.

Here you go. The product is a valid item although I can't vouch for this particular brand. Most guys get zero to one tablespoon out of 1,000 miles of driving. When they empty it they just pour it back into the motor.

I put a tube on the end of my shopvac and sucked the oil out before putting everything back together to eliminate the oil. Has anyone installed a oil catch pan as Underdog described and noticed any difference? Pictures of the install?

Haven't tried that, I'm using the breather project currently. However the air/water separator sounds like an interesting idea, since I have one of those for my compressor in one of the drawers somewhere around here.