oil leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vik singh

Reaction score
ST is leaking..!!! There is a oil leak on my st i can't seem to to see were its coming from, but it looks like its either the pcv vavle gromit or the valve cover gasket on the driverside..if anyone else has had this problem or seen somthing like it let me know what it is..

Also when i shut the trac off i been geting a noise like a popping sound...i don't have intake but jus curious what it could be...let me know

thanks guys

The popping sound is probebly the catalytic converter. It is hot, and that is the sound of it cooling.

Oil leaks can be hard to locate. One way to find them is to pull over a sheet of cardboard. Make sure a tire is on the cardboard. When you see a drip, pull the vehicle off the cardboard and measure. Then climb under the vehicle to locate it. Once you know the general area, then you can start searching for it. Look for the oily area of the engine. When the oily area is not longer oily, that is where the leak is. Oil flows downhill. Sme will creep uphill, but the majority goes downhill. If it is a toss up between two areas, fix the one that is the easiest and cheapest to fix, if you are unsure of the two. No need to pull a cam cover if a grommet is leaking. A grommet is an easy fix compared to pulling the cam cover.

Tom

Maybe it saw the new Mitsubishi comercial and had the same reaction as the Chevy on it!:D Really though I have had oil residue on my driver's side, behind the tire, on the frame since I bought the truck in '03. Can't find where it came from and the engine doesn't look like there is any oil leaking from it. (no oil loss on dipstick) I just chaulk it up to overflow line? I don't even know if the truck has one. I just can't find where it would come from. Is it dripping onto the floor? Because mine doesn't laeve any drip marks, just the residue on the frame.