Oil light on...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber Clymer

Reaction score
I have only 1200 miles on my 2007 and in the instrument cluster, it says change engine oil. It lights up in orange. I can hit the info/reset buttons and it goes away until the next time I start her up. I am not sure why this would happen, for it is brand new and is not acting funny. I even checked the oil, it is not low and is very clean. Should I be concerned? I just think it is WAY too early to have to take in a new car for service...LOL Must be a bad sensor or something. What do you guys/gals think?

Yeah I do need to call the dealership, it is too early for any issues. The message isn't really an average indicator light, it is actual text within the message center in the cluster. Anywho, it is strange, so it needs to go in unfortunately. The bad thing is I do have another car to drive (Jeep SRT-8), BUT I did not want to take her out in the snow/ice, for she is a collector of sorts. Maybe they will give me a loaner car or something so I don't have to take the Jeep out.

Look in your manual and see how to reset this. Also it has to do with the length of time

like 6 months. So if the car was built 5 or 6 months ago that will trigger the light to come

on. It is OK to drive it.:)

The computer uses a lot of inputs to calculate the time and mileage between oil changes...

Also driving changes, throttle position, idling, weather are all taken into consideration...

And at 1200 miles on a fresh motor, I would change the oil any way for preventative reasons..

Todd Z

I don't think the change engine oil light is linked to time. I took delivery of my 07 on Sept. 7 (almost 6 months) and with 4,800 miles my oil light has not come on yet. I agree that it can be Safely driven but more than likely it's a fluke accident that it came on. I woud insist that they give you a loaner vehicle to drive.

Change the oil and filter anyway, and reset the computer as described in your owner's manual.

Like Todd said, I changed the oil in my '07 at 200 miles to get rid of the factory oil that had been sitting for six months, with lots of cold starts and being moved around the sales lot without being heated up. I use Mobil 1 5W20 and Mobil 1 filter.

My wife's '05 will do the same thing if you don't reset it correctly. You have to go into the system settings and reset from there. Just like you would after an oil change. Why it's doing it now? Not exactly sure. The condition of the oil doesn't really play a part here, it does go off mileage. (at least that seems how my wife's Mountaineer is);)

I'm not sure of the '05 ST. My wife's '05 Mountaineer has a "warning" to "change oil soon" and "oil change required" on the system diagnostics. (Annoying in my opinion) Her's is in the lower right corner of the instrument cluster. For her, it's a good thing, it lets her know when to tell me she's due for an oil change.:D;)