Oil Tests

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny O

Reaction score
Just a heads up. I'm not trying to push or bash any oils but it seems the 4.0 SOHC doesn't like Mobil 1 Truck & SUV very much. Wear metals were much lower with Pennzoil Platinum.

I just use Mobil 1 Super Syn. My Blackstone Labs report says that all wear levels are below normal for a vehicle with my mileage.

Last edited by a moderator:
The link on my link :lol: has a UOA from my previous 4.0 SOHC Ranger with plain Mobil 1 5w-30 and it was much better.

I've been using Red Line in several of my vehicles including the S/T for the past 10-12 years and have gotten good reports from Blackstone. I use Red Line engine oil, trans fluid, gear lube, power steering , Water Wetter and SI fuel treatment. I have recorded a 1-2 mpg increase in the S/T and VW Passat TDI when I changed out all the fluids to synthetic with Red Line. Red Line oil is a polyol-ester base which I beleive is a class IV or V synthetic base stock.

My uncle recently retired from chevron-texaco research, here in houston. He said out of all the oils they tested in various engines and enviroments, Red Line came out on top. He said it even beat out royal purple...

Good thing I lease it. Only a year left. :lol:

I will get another 5000 mile UOA on the Pennz Plat that's in it now.

There is a Ford 3.0 UOA with Redline posted near mine in the same forum, frankly it didn't look very good. Always a lot of variables, but you've got to work to get a bad UOA with any oil in a 3.0 Vulcan (the wife has one in her Taurus). As was told to me once, you could fill a 3.0 with peanut butter, race LeMans with it, and get a good UOA. The engine simply isn't hard on oil.

Havoline is a very good dino oil but I also posted a UOA from my Neon work beater with 3k on the Havoline, the wear metals were fine considering the high miles on the car but it killed the viscosity. Probably from the near constant 3500 rpm running on the Turnpike. :cool:

Bottom line is that different engines can like different oils and a UOA is the only way to know for sure.

Latest posts