?? on removing DTC codes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael b

Reaction score
I guess thats what they're called. I know some states will fail a car during an emissions test if the "Check engine" light is on so I have a question-- If you use a code scanner or xcal & erase the DTCs can they tell? If it still fails due to emissions I understand but if not then I'd hate to fail just because of the light. I guess I have a small crack in my intake manifold (thats what the dealer techs diagnosed anyway) It doesnt really cause much of a problem except for the first couple minutes on a cold startup in the morning so I hate to spend 700 dollars on it right now. I've considered moving to Springfield MO & I know they have safety & emissions testing so I thought I'd ask.--Thanks.

If you remove the neg. terminal for 10-15 min it will remove them the same as the scanners. The only thing you have to worry about is that the light comes back on when you are on the way to get it inspected.;)

Delaware plugs testing equipment into the OBD2 port and if there is not enough data, (history in the computer) they make you come back.. it also catches people taking the lightbulb out of the Check engine light..

troy

Clearing the CEL error code is only temporary. Iif you do not fix the problem causing the error code, it will return very quickly.

TroY,

You don't need any equpment to check if someone removed the CEL bulb. Just turn on the ignition key without starting the vehicle and all error/warning lights will be illuminated. That's a selftest to insure no bulbs are burned out or in the case of the CEL, that nobody has tampered with it by removing the bulb.

It's also possible to remove the error codes without clearing any stored data.

,,,Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
In Ohio, if you have a MIL lit, it must be out before they test. If you reset the code then take it in, they will hook it up. During that time, the ECU is in learning mode. The ECU will not allow the E-Check scanner to connect properly. When that happens, the run your engine on the dyno and do the test the old way.

That the Ohio counties that the state needs extra "smog credits" to sell to the fossil fuel power plants so they can continue to polute.

Tom