only had the trac for 100 miles! **problems**

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Follow rich L's advice. Take it in to where you bought it and make them honor the warranty. Tranny needs work and it is expensive. You paid for it, use it. Don't tell them anything other than the indication you have -- the OD light flashing and the tranny is slipping.

In your original post, you said the OD light "stopped" flashing. Did it start and then stop, or is this a typo that it IS flashing.

the trans was slipping like crazy with the od light flashing the whole 2 miles. then i parked it.

i hopped in it to pickup parts for my other car (another 2 mile trip) and the od light is now off and seems to not slip.

Still take it in. If the od light came on, there will be some cades they can pull up. Get it on record, even if they cant duplicate...

Just putting in my two cents here,but why buy an extended warranty and then not use it. If the transmission was bad before and they knew it, they would have to tell you about it,Before you bought it. So take it back to them and use the warranty that they talked you into buying._Ron

A good tranny shop WILL install UPGRADED aftermarket parts that address certain things that have been a problem in the past.

In other words, a Good tranny shop will install BETTER parts that are LESS PRONE TO FAIL.

I have already said it a few times before.

DO NOT TAKE IT TO THE DEALER! THEY ARE TOO EXPENSIVE IN THE FIRST PLACE AND THEY USE ONLY OE STUFF.

Take it to a good tranny shop and be done with it.

Tom

I suspect the previous owner knew about this issue and decided to dump it before he had to pay the bill for repairs. This transmission issue of slipping between 2nd and 3rd is well documented here. It won't go away but may just occur from time to time.

I would take this car back to the dealer. They may be willing to do something about this. If they are a reputable dealer, they will want their customers to be happy with their purchase. You could also consult with a lawyer to see if there is some local law that prevents used car dealers from passing on problems like this.

Nelson,

He has a warranty. Let it get fixed under warranty right. Taking it back to the dealer may end up being a band aid fix.

Tom

the question was never "should i use the warranty" it was how to approch this right and get things corrected without too much out of pocket.

i will keep you all updated, i will be contacting the warranty company today.

**update**

quite the twist now..

i called the warranty company and they said the warranty was registered by the dealership as an engine only contract excluding the transmission. so i call the dealer full well knowing that we had followed all the bullet points of the warranty and reviewed all the items covered (in this case it was a full powertrain only). he apologized and said that is was his mistake that the forms had recently changed and he was unaware that the level e only covered the engine and not the powertrain. The items we discussed that were covered under lever e AND level 1. They said they were getting in touch with the rep for the warranty company and see what can be done..

i see a couple problems here..

1. i already contacted the warranty company so they know the trans needs repair. why would they want to upgrade the warranty knowing they will have to cover the repairs.

great!

i will keep you updated

I would want the dealer to make good on it. If he discussed with you that it was covered and put in the wrong form(s) he should make good on it.

If the dealership failed to check on the current coverages, and you need to upgrade to the other plan to get the parts and labor covered:

Is the dealership going to pay for the difference of upgrading your warranty?

AND...

Will the warranty company cover the fix, since it happened "before" you got the upgraded warranty?

I surely would be asking those two questions.

The dealership folks messed up, not you. They need to be covering your fix or cost difference on the upgraded plan, imop

xxxx keeping my fingers crossed for you.

update:

well i wanted to wait a bit while this all panned out before i posted a resolution. My dealership and the warranty company came to an agreement and the transmission was ok'd to be checked out.

first the transmission tech at the ford dealer checked the computer and had 2 different issues to deal with.

1. he replaced the valvebody with a new one w/ all the TSB updates..

that did not take care of it so they had to remove and do a complete overhaul on the trans. to the tune of $3,159.42

i got a email last night stating that it was ready for pickup and i owed my deductable of $100.. i have yet to talk to the tech about what was the main problem but i am assuming a broken intermediate band and a damaged drum etc.. tonight when i pick er' up i will get a complete rundown and itemized list of item replaced/ repaired and the warranty information. the service manager said they will cover the services they did for 12/12,000 (what a joke of a warranty, good think i still have my powertrain warranty in addition).

it has been 3 weeks since the trans problem first reared it's ugly head.. the dealer has had the truck for 2 weeks for diagnosis and repairs (i guess they were pretty backed up). It was not my first choice to have the dealer do a rebuild but i suppose it all worked out ok.. now i just need to decide if i can get the dealer to cover my deductable since it took 3 weeks to get a resolution. i had to borrow a car for 22 days.

thanks for the advice guys!