Opinion on software

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
Spy-bot search and destroy or Ad-aware. One or the other. The last time I ran both, caused me to restore my computer, after definition updates.

Dont know what happened. I had been running both for years. Im now running Norton 2009 internet security and windows defender. Thinking of adding spy-bot. I liked the tea-timer running in the background. It was very informative about, at the moment registry changes.

Thanks

I have Norton 2009 and Spybot. No problems. Runs in the background, too.

Edit: I removed Ad-Aware because it locked up while running after upgrading to Norton 09

Last edited by a moderator:
Norton has cause me and my clients more issues that both of those combined over the years. Just FYI.. and I prefer malware-bytes in place of either of those choices.

But if I had to pick from the two only I'd go with Ad-aware.

Kaspersky is FANTASTIC. Not cheap, but worth every penny when it tells you it would not open a site because of attached virus or auto-download software.

I'm running NIS 2009 with SpyBot S&D with great success. NIS 2009 has been completely redesigned - much better than earlier versions. A quick Google check brings up many positive reviews. Add-aware gave my PC fits from the start - no longer use it.

+2 on webroot, been using it for 5 years now........ I bought the 3 pc license's with a 3 year subscription for around 89 bucks. 1 pc is cheaper..

Last edited by a moderator:
Eddie, I've run both for years. The last big change in spybot rendered it antagonistic with adaware. Adaware has also been changed and I have run them both and had hands down better results with Adaware. I have dropped spybot and just run a free firewall free antivirus and free adaware and have no problems.

God bless,

Jim:D

+3 Webroot is a really good one, we use at my work for our kiosk style machines that the public can use. Any of the symantec products are half decent but they are memory hogs and eat up quite a bit of resources to function.

If you are any bit of a computer geek, you'll stay away from the Norton stuff at home at least. Unless you can get your hands on a corporate version without all the fancy interface junk.

I've used the free version of AVG and Ad-Aware for YEARS now on all of my computers (2 laptops, 3 PC's). The only issue I've ever had was a few months back my wife's laptop got infected with Cryptor, only because the AVG had somehow gotten turned off and wasn't updating or running its daily scans. My kids tend to use her laptop a lot, so that probably explains how that happened... No big deal though, it just took few internet searches and an hour or so to get rid of it. I'm always baffled by the amount of money people pay for their AV software and the issues they continue to have, when AVG is free and has been flawless for me.

+ 4 on Webroot. Been using it for 2 years now. Got a 5 user pack with Anti Spyware, Anti Virus, and Firewall for about $69 or $79 (If I recall correctly) a year.

MicroTrend Security Pro. Gets you 3 pc's worth of use. At Bestbuy for 40$. Every computer electronics place around here highly suggestes it. Been using it for years!

I use Microsoft's Windows Defender. It works great, and it's FREE!

I used to use AdAware and SpyBot and Windows Defender always found more malware that the other two could not find?

The newer versions of Windows Defender constantly monitor malware threats and updates automatically, so it always seems to be up to date.

...Rich

Spybot is outdated tech. Malwarebytes or superanti spyware are better. Norton is junk. Kapersky is good. Personally I use Vipre and OpenDNS. I'm an IT geek so thats just me.

Latest posts